Arrival in Reschen
Hotel (example): Panorama
From Reschen to Burgeis
First along Reschensee reservoir and over to Graun, where you will find the best known camera motive of the Vinschau, the flooded spire of Gaun. The route runs past lake Haidersee and along the largest alluvial fan of the Alps and leads up to the idyllic mountain village Planeil. Downhill you walk through forest and later through flowering meadows to Burgeis, with view to the impressive monastery of Marienberg.
Hotel (example): Maraias
Walk along the Sonnensteig path, a newly created theme path with fantastic views of the snowy mountain peaks. High above the town Mals, with its many towers, onwards and over the Tartscher Bichl past ‚Ganglegg’, a historic archaeological site from the Bronze and Iron Age on to Schluderns, with the most impressive and best-preserved castles in South Tyrol.
Hotel (example): Saldur
From the foot of Sonnberg your walk starts and continues crossing through dense forests. Above Laas, well known for the white marble, you later reach the orchards of Vinschgau – apple trees as far as the eyes can see.
Hotel (example): Goldene Rose
Today you pass through the orchard of the Vinschgau. Along the Latschander Waal path you walk through regions of the best South Tyrolean wines. Continue on the archaeological path which almost takes you to Messners castle ‘Juval’, high above the valley. On a meandering trail downhill you reach Naturns.
Hotel (example): Kreuzwirt
From Naturns to Meran
High up you continue following the Rablander Waal path through forests, past Alpine mountain farms forever accompanied by stunning views of the Vinschgau valley. Follow Partschinser and Algunder Waal path down into the Meraner basin. Tired muscles get a chance to relax in the thermal spa.
Hotel (example): Flora
From Meran to Nals
On Marlinger Waal path, the longest Waal of South Tyrol you walk into the apple centre Lana. On your way enjoy lovely views on Meran and the Adige valley to Bolzano. Pass through light forests up to Tisens, well known for the sweet chestnuts. During the second half of this path many ancient fortresses are passed: Nals with Stachelburg, Schwanburg and Payrsberg castle.
Hotel (example): Traubenheim
Walk past castles, raised stands and fortresses with great views of the Etschtal Valley and the surrounding mountain ranges. A section of the path takes you along the ‘Three-Fortress-Route’ and continue via St. Michael through extensive vineyards until you reach the beautiful lake Kalterer See. In this beautiful valley you should taste a glass of "Kalterer See".
Hotel (example): Remichhof
You walk mainly on good walking paths, often on the so called ‘Waal paths’, ancient water systems as well as on paved sections. The paths are easy to walk, the route is undulating through lovely countryside, dotted with orchards and vineyards. Longer ascents only occur on two of the days. We recommend a good basic fitness level for walking days of up to 6.5 hours. Shortcuts of daily sections are possible by train or coach.
Category: pretty 3***-hotels and country hotels
- 8 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Vinschgau-Card with numerous inclusive services
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English, French)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- If half board: min. 3-course evening meal, (sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Organized return transfer to Reschen from Lake Kalterer-See EUR 55 per person (transfers Sat/Sun/Mon). Reservation required, payable on-site.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- By train to Landeck (North Tyrol) and by bus approx. 1.5 hours to Reschen. Or by train via Bolzano and Meran to Mals (South Tyrol) and by bus to Reschen in approx. 30 minutes.
- Parking: hotel parking spaces EUR 5 per week, no reservation required.
- Return transfer from Lake Kalterer by bus/train in approx. 1 hour to Meran, then from Meran by Vinschgau train in approx. 1.5 hours to Mals and from there approx. 30 minutes to Reschen.