Lake Reschensee – Lake Kalterer-See with Charm
Blooming Vinschgau & South Tyrolean Wine Route.
Arrival in Reschen
First along Reschensee reservoir and over to Graun, where you will find the best known camera motive of the Vinschau, the flooded spire of Gaun. The route runs past lake Haidersee and along the largest alluvial fan of the Alps and leads up to the idyllic mountain village Planeil. Downhill you walk through forest and later through flowering meadows to Burgeis, with view to the impressive monastery of Marienberg.
Walk along the Sonnensteig path, a newly created theme path with fantastic views of the snowy mountain peaks. High above the town Mals, with its many towers, onwards and over the Tartscher Bichl past ‚Ganglegg’, a historic archaeological site from the Bronze and Iron Age on to Schluderns, with the most impressive and best-preserved castles in South Tyrol.
From the foot of Sonnberg your walk starts and continues crossing through dense forests. Above Laas, well known for the white marble, you later reach the orchards of Vinschgau – apple trees as far as the eyes can see.
Today you pass through the orchard of the Vinschgau. Along the Latschander Waal path you walk through regions of the best South Tyrolean wines. Continue on the archaeological path which almost takes you to Messners castle ‘Juval’, high above the valley. On a meandering trail downhill you reach Naturns.
From Naturns to Meran
High up you continue following the Rablander Waal path through forests, past Alpine mountain farms forever accompanied by stunning views of the Vinschgau valley. Follow Partschinser and Algunder Waal path down into the Meraner basin. Tired muscles get a chance to relax in the thermal spa.
From Meran to Nals
On Marlinger Waal path, the longest Waal of South Tyrol you walk into the apple centre Lana. On your way enjoy lovely views on Meran and the Adige valley to Bolzano. Pass through light forests up to Tisens, well known for the sweet chestnuts. During the second half of this path many ancient fortresses are passed: Nals with Stachelburg, Schwanburg and Payrsberg castle.
Walk past castles, raised stands and fortresses with great views of the Etschtal Valley and the surrounding mountain ranges. A section of the path takes you along the ‘Three-Fortress-Route’ and continue via St. Michael through extensive vineyards until you reach the beautiful lake Kalterer See. In this beautiful valley you should taste a glass of "Kalterer See".
Departure or extra days
You walk mainly on good walking paths, often on the so called ‘Waal paths’, ancient water systems as well as on paved sections. The paths are easy to walk, the route is undulating through lovely countryside, dotted with orchards and vineyards. Longer ascents only occur on two of the days. We recommend a good basic fitness level for walking days of up to 6.5 hours. Shortcuts of daily sections are possible by train or coach.
| Season 1 |
30.04.2022 - 08.05.2022
19.09.2022 - 08.10.2022
Arrival Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays
| Season 2 |
09.05.2022 - 19.06.2022
05.09.2022 - 18.09.2022
Arrival Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays
| Season 3 |
20.06.2022 - 04.09.2022
|Lake Reschensee – Lake Kalterer-See, 9 days, Charm, IT-SJWRK-09D|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge half board 7x (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)||199.00||199.00||199.00|
|Surcharge single room||229.00||229.00||229.00|
Category: You spend the night in specially selected hotels with special "extras" and can enjoy all the facilities of the charming accommodations (see "Accommodation").
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- 1 Half board (Schlanders)
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English)
- App for Navigation and GPS-data available
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Return transfer by minibus from Lake Kalterer See to Reschen every Saturday, Sunday and Monday, costs EUR 59 per person, from Meran EUR 55 per person, EUR 19 per dog, reservation is necessary, to be paid for in advance.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- By train to Landeck (North Tyrol) and by bus approx. 1,5 hours to Reschen. Or by train via Bolzano and Meran to Mals (South Tyrol) and by bus to Reschen in approx. 30 minutes.
- Innsbruck or Munich airport.
- Parking: Free parking at the hotel. No reservation required.
- Return transfer from Meran by Vinschgau train in approx. 1.5 hrs. to Mals and from there approx. 30 min. to Reschen. From Lake Kalterer by bus/train in approx. 1 hr. to Merano then continue as described.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Special dates on request
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!