Arrival in Garmisch
The famous olympic town Garmisch-Partenkirchen beckons you to explore: discover the beautiful pedestrian zone, the traditionally painted houses and cozy beergardens.
Hotel (example): Vier Jahreszeiten
Walk past the renowned ski-jumping hill and through the imposing Partnachklamm-ravine, where a roaring mass of water has dug deep into the rock. Via Mount Wamberg you walk to the Elmauer Alp and continue through blooming meadows and valleys to Lake Lauter- and Lake Ferchensee. You stay overnight in Mittenwald, renowned for violin making and ‚Lüftlmalerei‘ (a kind of trompe l’oeil on houses).
Hotel (example): Post
Today you leave Bavaria and head for the Tyrolean mountain world! The Geisterklamm-ravine situated high above a gorge awaits for you to walk through it on bridges and footbridges. After that you hike through a splendid high mountain valley, which is also the location of the popular holiday destination Leutasch, surrounded by mountain chains.
Hotel (example): Tirolerhof
From Leutasch to Landeck
Remote hill moor areas and forests lead you to the crossover onto the ‚Buchner Höhe‘. Past walls of rock of the ‚Hohen Munde‘ along a beautiful hiking trail downhill into the green Inn-river valley. From the historic market town Telfs you take the train, which takes you to your Day Finish Landeck with views onto the famous mountains with glaciers of the Ötztaler and Pitztaler Alps.
Hotel (example): Sonne
From Landeck to Reschen
Transfer onto the Reschen-pass and by cable car to Mutzkopf, where you start your hike to Lake Schwarzsee and Lake Grünsee. You ascend as far as the three-nation border stone, where you get to stand exactly on the border between Italy, Austria and Switzerland. You descend via alps to the giant Lake Reschensee, with your same-named Day Finish Reschensee. Welcome to Italy!
Hotel (example): Panorama 2000
From Reschen to Naturns
Short bus journey along Lake Reschensee with a view onto the sunken church of Graun to the trailhead. The hiking tour in the nature reserve on Lake Haidersee leads you downhill into the Alpine dairy village of Burgeis and then via diverse paths across meadows and ‚Waalweg‘-paths (ancient water channels) to Schluderns and by train through vineyards and orchards to Naturns.
Hotel (example): Kreuzwirt
From Naturns to Meran
You walk along a panorama-trail with great views all the way to the streams of the ‚Sagenweg‘-path. Along the many Waalweg-paths traditional wine taverns invite you again and again to have a break. In the afternoon you reach the ‚Tappeiner Promenade‘, whose exotic floral splendor you follow as far as the cathedral square of Meran. Now you have reached the end destination of your impressive hiking week and get to toast to your experiences in the pretty centre of Meran.
Hotel (example): Flora
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
Good stamina and a good basic fitness level are required for the daily hiking tours of up to a maximum of 5 hours walking time. Daily routes run along well-maintained and most of all diverse mountain paths, where in parts surefootedness is required. Sometimes routes can be cut short by public transport.
Category: beautiful 3***-hotels and inns
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Train journey Telfs – Landeck
- Transfer Landeck – Nauders
- Cable car ascent Mutzkopf
- Train journey Schluderns – Naturns
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- If half board: min. 3-course evening meal (sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Arrival by train at Garmisch-Partenkirchen and a short walk or a short bus ride to the start hotel.
- Parking: limited number of hotel parking spaces free of charge, no reservation possible. Plenty of parking options free of charge near the hotel or public covered car park for approx. EUR 20 per week, no reservation.
- Return journey from Meran to Garmisch by train in approx. 4.5 hours (2x change of trains).
- Shuttle service from Meran to Garmisch, info and booking at www.viaclaudia.org.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Bus journey Reschen – St. Valentin, approx. EUR 3 per person
- Special dates on request
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!