Basic information about the Altmühltal
The Altmühltal spring at the Frankenhöhe in the north of Leutershausen is the beginning and the district town of Kelheim an der Donau near Regensburg is the end point of the beautiful Altmühltal in Bavaria. The region offers the most beautiful views for nature lovers and active holidaymakers, because the Altmühltal with the popular nature park offers a romantic natural paradise and the perfect conditions for a successful hiking holiday away from the crowds. The Altmühlsee is located in the Franconian Lake District and not only enables active holiday makers to cool off but is also of great importance as a bird sanctuary. In addition, there are the historical and cultural treasures including the mighty ramparts, castles and palaces from the past Celtic and Roman times. The second largest nature park in Germany with almost 3,000 square kilometres offers a lot of experiences and opportunities to discover history, culture and nature.
Hiking tours on the Altmühltal-Panorama-Path
The Altmühltal region is particularly well prepared for the needs of hikers and active holidaymakers and enables a carefree and enjoyable hiking holiday. There is a reason why numerous hosts in the region have been awarded the title of ‘Quality host for hikeable Germany’, because they offer hiking guests the most important services, very simply and flexibly. A particularly worth seeing and worthwhile hiking trail leads through the Altmühltal valley: The Altmühltal-Panorama-Path. Step by step, the semi-natural route guides hikers over 200 kilometres along the Altmühltal and across the Altmühl Valley Nature Park.
More hiking experiences in the Altmühltal with Eurohike
Pleasure hiking in the countryside: according to this motto, we have put together the most beautiful stages and natural routes of the Altmühltal-Panorama-Path for you in our Eurohike hiking tours and packed them into an unforgettable hiking holiday. On the hiking holiday on the Altmühltal-Panorama-Path, 9 days you march from the quiet town of Treuchtlingen to Pappenheim and Dollnstein.
- Our tip: take the time for a short photo-stop on the third day of your hiking holiday. A special scenic highlight awaits you here – the famous limestone rock formation ‘Twelve Apostles’ embedded in juniper heaths in the Altmühltal.
The next stages take you along panoramic high-altitude trails to Eichstätt, Kipfenberg, more highlights await you: the hike along the Jura rocks to the ‘Keltenwall’, impressive panoramic views of the Danube breakthrough and, as the end to the hiking holiday, a Danube boat trip to Kelheim. The two shorter versions also ensure a wonderful hiking experience in the nature of the Altmühltal. So why not march along the hiking tour Altmühltal-Panorama-Path, 7 days from Treuchtlingen to Riedenburg. The hiking holiday Altmühltal-Panorama-Path, 5 days also starts in Treuchlingen and ends in the city of monasteries and churches, the Bishop city of Eichstätt.
Nature, culture and dreamy scenery in the Altmühltal
The hiking trails always offer a natural, active experience away from the crowds and with a unique scenery. Diversity is part of the programme on this panorama trail, because the varied highlights of nature and culture make the hiking trip an impressive active experience. The routes are characterised by low-traffic routes, close to nature but still with an optimal connection to traffic. Well-signposted hiking trails and signposts including information on the kilometres, complete the optimal route. The uniquely beautiful views along the route invite you to relax at any time.
Our Eurohike moments in the Altmühltal
- Stroll through cities with diversity: Discover the many beautiful cities along the Altmühltal-Panorama-Path and immerse yourself in the lively city life. From Kelheim, Eichstätt, Pappenheim to Treuchtlingen – the cities offer a colourful variety of history and culture.
- Time for history: We have just the right highlight for hiking and history fans. One of the most powerful archaeological monuments and former imperial border of the Roman Empire is located in the Altmühltal Nature Park. The famous UNESCO World Heritage Site of Limes.
- Experience tradition: An important tradition is still practiced in the Altmühltal valley Nature Park – the Altmühltal shepherd culture. Without this, the region would lose the juniper heaths that shape the landscape. Whether as a guest in the Schäferhaus, on a guided tour or on one of the markets – discover the tradition in the Altmühltal on your hiking trip.
- Location: In the alpine foothills in Bavaria
- Length: 200 kilometres
- Route: From Gunzenhausen to Helheim
- Season: Best time to hike from April to October
- Ascent: 4,243 metres
- Descent: 4,311 metres
- Highest point: 640 metres (near Degersheim)
- Lowest point: 344 metres (near Kelheim)
- Signposting: Yellow-red signs (supplemented by signposts and information on distances)
- Special features: Hikes with a dog are particularly suitable on the Altmühltal-Panorama-Path due to the good hiking trails and easy tours. Furthermore, the Altmühltal-Panorama-Path is a certified quality hiking trail in Germany. Read more about the quality & premium hiking trails in Germany on our Eurohike HikingBlog.
- Even more hiking experiences in Bavaria: In addition to the 200 kilometres main route, there are 27 loop paths, which are among the most beautiful circular routes in the Altmühltal Nature Park and are signposted with a yellow and blue sign.
Would you like to start your hiking holiday completely relaxed? No problem! On the day of arrival you can relax your body and mind in the Altmühltherme in Treuchtlingen before you start your hike. A special highlight and at the same time a popular photo spot awaits you on the fifth day of your hiking tour on the Altmühltal-Panorama Path: the natural monument "Twelve Apostles". The rugged rock group is located directly in the Altmühltal Nature Park.
On the daily stages of our hiking tours on the Altmühltal-Panorama Path, you cover between 14 and 35 kilometres per day. Note: The longer daily stages can usually be shortened or bridged by public transport.
The route on our hiking holidays on the Altmühltal-Panorama Path varies depending on the duration of the tour – here is a brief overview:
- Walking holiday Altmühltal-Panorama Path Treuchtlingen - Kelheim, 9 days: Our nine-day hiking tour takes you from Treuchtlingen via Pappenheim/surroundings to Dollnstein/surroundings, Eichstätt, Kipfenberg, Beilngries, Riedenburg and to your final destination in Kelheim.
- Walking holiday Altmühltal-Panorama Path Treuchtlingen - Beilngries, 7 days: Over seven days you walk from Treuchtlingen to Pappenheim/surroundings, Dollnstein/surroundings, Eichstätt, Kipfenberg and to the final destination of your active tour, Beilngries.
- Walking holiday Altmühltal-Panorama Path Treuchtlingen - Eichstätt, 5 days: The beautiful Altmühltal-Panorama Path can also be wonderfully explored on a short hiking holiday. You hike from Treuchtlingen to Pappenheim/surroundings, Dollnstein/surroundings and reach the destination of your trip in Eichstätt.
Hiking in the Altmühltal organised from A to Z
At Eurohike, we ensure an unforgettable and carefree hiking experience on the Altmühltal-Panorama-Path. With the Eurohike Wanderplus, the highest travel comfort is guaranteed during your hiking holiday. From the best-prepared travel documents and route information, to personal support on-site, the precisely selected hotels and accommodation to luggage transfer in the holiday destination in the alpine foothills.
All information about Eurohike Wanderplus and why Eurohike is guaranteed to make your holiday experience a carefree one can be found here at a glance.