Basic information about the Alpe-Adria-Trail
From the mountains to the sea: The Alpe-Adria-Trail leads hikers from the foot of the highest mountain in Austria, the Großglockner, through Slovenia to Muggia on the Adriatic Sea in Italy in a total of 750 kilometres. The special thing about this cross-border long-distance hiking trail is that there is a special highlight on each of the 43 stages – a so-called ‘jewel of the landscape’ in the form of an installation. This feature makes the hiking experience not only a varied journey, but also enables the hiker to immerse themselves in the regional peculiarities of the country and get to know the cultural diversity.
Alpe-Adria Border Triangle Tour
In the form of a circular hike, you will experience the three countries of Austria, Slovenia and Italy on the Alpe-Adria Border Triangle Tour over eight days and six stages. The starting point of this Eurohike hiking tour is Villach in the south of Austria and continues through Italy, Slovenia and back to the beginning of the hiking route in Villach. As a special highlight of this hiking holiday in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region, the Italian place of pilgrimage Monte Lussari and the wonderful Triglav National Park in Slovenia are waiting.
Over seven days and five stages you hike on the Alpe-Adria-Trail in Slovenia from the Vrisic Pass at 1,618 metres, through the spectacular Soča Gorge, past the largest waterfall in Slovenia, the Boka Waterfall, through the Triglav National Park to the ridge of the Kolovrat and down into the valley, where the hiking tour ends at the former border crossing to Italy, the Rifugio Solarie.
- Our tip: On the fourth day stage you hike to the high alpine pastures of the Kuhinja, where delicious regional cheeses are waiting for you to taste and enjoy.
Real Italian lifestyle awaits you on our eight-day Eurohike hiking tour on the Alpe-Adria-Trail in Italy. You walk in six daily stages on good hiking trails and forest paths from Cividale de Friuli to Castelmonte, past the vineyards of the Collio, through the hills of the ‘Görzer Collio’, past the Timavo River – the shortest river in the world with a length of 2 kilometres to Duino/Sistiana to the destination of Trieste, the capital of the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region.
- Our tip: Enjoy a regional wine tasting in the traditional Enoteca di Cormons in the Italian community of the same name.
- Relax in Italy: This is particularly good with a glass of Italian Prosecco in Cividale or at the beautiful Duino Castle near Trieste, where you can really enjoy the fresh sea breeze with a view of the Adriatic Sea.
- Magical hiking experiences: On each of the 43 stages of the Alpe Adria Trail there is a special place of harmony – a ‘magical place’ in the form of an installation or landmark. This special feature has a positive effect on the hiking rhythm and makes each stage an exciting or unique experience.
- Culinary tour: The Alpe-Adria-Trail is not just a scenic delight. This long-distance hiking trail also promises at least one delightful culinary highlight on each of the 43 stages. A visit to one of the innumerable places to stop for refreshments along the way will make your hiking holiday really perfect. Whether an authentic alpine hut, tavern, winery, osteria, enoteca or farmer’s house – these Eurohike hiking tours are not only special for the eyes, but also for the palate.
- From hiking and pilgrimage: A real experience is a hike to the pilgrimage mountain Monte Lussari in the Julian Alps of Italy. The Alpine region connects the different cultures and the mountain Monte Lussari is a symbol of this.
Hiking pleasure on the Alpe-Adria-Trail
The hiking trails extend primarily over non-alpine terrain and run with a slight difference in altitude – the journey is therefore a pleasurable experience and can be mastered with a good level of fitness and sure-footedness. The stages can be hiked in both directions and the signage was designed accordingly. The Alpe-Adria-Trail logo is either located as an additional sign on the directional signs along the way or as a sticker directly on the markings. The good route guides are uniformly marked on the edge of the path using spray floor markings. The respective Alpine associations always ensure that the trails and signs are carefully maintained. The level of difficulty of the hiking trails is classified as easy to medium and the daily stages are around four to eight hours.
- Location: Austria, Italy, Slovenia
- Length: approx. 750 kilometres
- Duration: 43 stages (including six round trips)
- Course: From the Großglockner in Austria to the Adriatic Sea in Italy
- Season: Best hiking season from April to October
- Elevation gain: 2,370 metres
- Markings: Alpe-Adria-Trail logo on the signposts and ground markings
The Alpe-Adria 3-Country Round Trip and the Alpe-Adria-Trail Slovenia fall under our hiking category mountain hiking, the Alpe-Adria-Trail Italy under the category hiking. The routes lead you over well-marked hiking paths, as well as mountain, forest and meadow trails. With a good basic level of fitness, our hiking tours on the Alpe-Adria-Trail are guaranteed to be a successful active experience.
There are plenty of highlights when hiking on the Alpe-Adria-Trail. One of the highlights of our mountain hiking holiday Alpe-Adria Border Triangle Tour, 8 days is the circular hike to the pilgrimage mountain Monte Lussari on day four of the tour. As the name Santuario dei Tre Popoli (Church of the Three Peoples) already suggests, this magical place is still a symbol of the solidarity between the three countries of Austria, Slovenia and Italy.
Another thing that makes hiking on the Alpe-Adria-Trail special is the culinary variety that can be discovered along the hiking paths. From Austrian delicacies to the unmistakable specialties in Italy or Slovenia - this is where hungry hikers encounter the multifaceted, culinary life of the respective regions.
On the daily stages of our hiking tours on the Alpe-Adria-Trail, you cover between 10 and 29 kilometres of hiking per day, depending on the journey. Note: some of the daily stages can be shortened using public transport.
The routes on our hiking tours on the Alpe-Adria-Trail vary depending on the individual hiking holiday – here is a brief overview:
- Mountain hiking holiday Alpe-Adria Border Triangle Tour, 8 days: You can explore three countries in just eight days and six daily stages on this hiking tour. From Villach the route leads to Feistritz an der Gail and on to Camporosso in Italy. After a circular hike on Monte Lussari, you continue to Kranjska Gora in Slovenia and finally back to Villach in Austria.
- Mountain hiking holiday Alpe-Adria-Trail Slovenia, 7 days: Over seven days and five stages you hike starting from the Vrisic pass near Kranjska Gora and accompanied by the Soča to Bovec, past the Boka waterfall to Deznica and Tolmin. The hiking tour ends at Refugio Solarie, from where you travel back to Kranjska Gora using a transfer.
- Hiking holiday Alpe-Adria-Trail Italy, 8 days: You hike the picturesque landscapes of Northern Italy on this trip. From Cividale del Friuli it goes first to Prepotto and to Šmartno, on to Cormons, Gradisca d’Isonzo, Duino / Sistiana and finally to the final stage destination to Trieste.
The best time to travel for a hiking holiday on the Alpe-Adria-Trail is, depending on the tour, from April or May or June to September, October or even into November.
Eurohike hiking trip on the Alpe-Adria-Trail
The incomparable beauty of nature and the landscape of three countries awaits you on our Eurohike hiking tours on the Alpe-Adria-Trail. There’s a reason why this cross-border long-distance hiking trail is internationally regarded as one of the most beautiful and varied. Organised but individual travel: With our “Eurohike Wanderplus” you can fully devote yourself to your hiking trip. We at Eurohike ensure a reliable all-round service including detailed travel documents, uncomplicated luggage transfer in the hiking destination, personal on-site support and of course, availability at all times on our service-hotline. After the daily stages, you can look forward to well-deserved, active relaxation in our selected hotels and accommodation with the special feel-good factor. Are you ready for your hiking trip in the ‘Garden of Eden’?