Basic information about the BergeSeen Trail
On a hike you can experience nature in its purest form, totally for yourself and at your own pace. Step by step, the BergeSeen Trail immerses you further into the picturesque regions of the Salzkammergut and lets you experience your own personal time-out in what is probably one of the most beautiful natural landscapes in Austria. The BergeSeen Trail is 350 kilometres-long and travels over particularly good hiking paths. The way markers along this long-distance hiking trail are clearly visible and allow for particularly uncomplicated orientation. The starting point and end stage is Gmunden am Traunsee, whereby the stages allow an uncomplicated entry into the routes and thus also enable various day tours or hiking holidays lasting several days.
- Learn more about hiking in the Salzkammergut.
Hiking variety in the nature and mountain paradise of the Salzkammergut
The Salzkammergut not only scores with a variety of options for bathing fans or those seeking peace and quiet – the region is a paradise for hiking holidaymakers. Magnificent hiking paths with good guidance, the best infrastructure and with spectacular panoramas, every day there is something new to be amazed by. The wonderful culinary stops – from traditional inns to fine gourmet kitchens – round of a dream hiking holiday. Furthermore after a hike you can enjoy wonderful moments of relaxation in the beautiful hotels and accommodation. On our hiking tours in the Salzkammergut, your hiking accommodation is selected with the utmost care to ensure the necessary relaxation during your most beautiful time of the year.
- Particularly charming: The hikes on the BergeSeen Trail lead to incredible stage villages with good infrastructure. So in the evening after hiking, you have the possibility to enjoy the harmonious atmosphere and culinary delights in your immediate vicinity.
Individual hiking tours on the BergeSeen Trail
The BergeSeen Trail offers just the right opportunities to explore the picturesque mountains, lakes, streams, villages and peaks of the region. Many of our hiking tours lead through the dreamlike areas that the BergeSeen Trail also crosses, such as the picturesque Salzkammergut, the Dachstein region, the area around Lake Wolfgang, the imperial town of Bad Ischl or the Fuschlsee region. Enjoy the dreamlike alpine landscapes on our Alpine Pasture Hike in the Salzkammergut. Experience the highest mountain of the Austrian provinces of Upper Austria and Styria on the hiking tour Dachstein High Altitude Circular Path, 8 days or our hiking tour High-Altitude Paths, Lakes & Dachstein-Glacier, 8 days – unique panoramas included. You can experience the advantages of a particularly relaxed active tour on our hiking tour Lake Wolfgangsee based in one hotel with charm, because here you are spared the daily hotel change and enjoy the full comfort of hiking with charm. The BergeSeen Trail and the Salzkammergut also offer wonderful opportunities for active families to spend time together in the countryside, such as our hiking tour Salzkammergut pasture walking for families.
Our Eurohike moments on the BergeSeen Trail
- Lovely dips in the lakes: The BergeSeen Trail links a total of 35 lakes which is great for magnificent refreshing moments in the warmer months. Enjoy the numerous opportunities to cool off in the Wolfgangsee, Fuschlsee, Mondsee, Attersee, Traunsee or Hallstättersee, to name just a few of the wonderful lakes.
- Climbing high: There are plenty of mountain adventures waiting for you when hiking on the BergeSeen Trail. A special experience is a hike or ride on the historic cogwheel railway - the steepest in Austria – up the 1,782-metre Schafberg. You have the opportunity to do this on the day of arrival on our hiking tour Lake Walking in Austria’s Salzkammergut with Charm.
- Culinary indulgence and traditional cuisine: In the Salzkammergut, it's not just hikers who enjoy exercise that get their money's worth. Foodies or those with a sweet tooth are also in the right place here. Try the wonderful alpine specialities and cheese variations, the sweet Salzburger Nockerl (dumplings) or the famous Zaunerstollen in Bad Ischl, the freshly caught fish from the lakes or a crispy fried chicken – there are plenty of gourmet treats to be had.
- Stroll in the city of Mozart: The beautiful old town of Salzburg is also not far from many of the stage locations on the BergeSeen Trail. This beautiful city is well worth a visit. Experience the charming atmosphere in Linzergasse or Getreidegasse and stroll through the beautiful market squares. In the summer months of July and August, the Salzburg Festival takes place every year, particularly impressive and attractive for all culture fans.
Fascination and hiking adventures in the Salzkammergut
As early as May the Salzkammergut is particularly good for spending time in the fresh air. The climate is ideal for hiking and the water temperature in the lakes is nice. The stages on the BergeSeen Trail can – depending on the height profile of the individual route – be hiked from May until September, perhaps October. The best thing about the BergeSeen Trail is that there is a wonderful hiking route for all levels of hiking. Whether on a hiking holiday with children, a hiking holiday with a dog or a hiking tour for solo travellers – hiking on the BergeSeen Trail guarantees hiking fun for all target groups. The daily stages take between four and seven hours and are achievable with a good basic level of fitness. We recommend sturdy shoes and solid equipment for your hiking tour on the BergeSeen Trail.
- Here you can find all tips and recommendations for the perfect travel checklist.
- Location: The BergeSeen Trail is located in the Salzkammergut in Upper Austria.
- Length: The entire BergeSeen Trail stretches over 350 kilometres.
- Route: The route of the BergeSeen Trail takes you from Gmunden am Traunsee through the picturesque Salzkammergut. The flexible routing makes it possible to hike the stages individually or combine them. Experience it for yourself on our hiking tours in the Salzkammergut.
- Season: The tours on the BergeSeen Trail can be hiked from May to October.
- Trail marking: The route on the BergeSeen Trail is wonderfully marked with a logo – ‘Salzkammergut S Trail’ in black writing with a yellow background.
- Tour character: Depending on the selection of your individual hiking tour, the corresponding hiking levels also vary. You can experience the stages or trail sections of the BergeSeen Trail entirely at your own pace. From moderate walking to mountain hiking, everything is possible.
The BergeSeen Trail leads through magnificent natural landscapes with wonderful mountain panoramas, tranquil lake areas and well-developed hiking paths. In addition, there are the region's culinary specialities and cultural sights to discover.
The daily walking time on the BergeSeen Trail is between four and six hours, depending on your choice of route. Particularly convenient: many of the sections can also be shortened easily by public transport.
The starting and finishing point of the BergeSeen Trail route is in Gmunden am Traunsee. The 350-kilometre long-distance hiking trail leads through many regions in the Salzkammergut such as:
- the Almtal
- the Ausseerland
- the Fuschlsee region
- the Wolfgangsee region
- or the Mondseeland
Perfectly organised hiking holidays on the BergeSeen Trail
A colourful variety as far as the eye can see – this and much more awaits hikers on the BergeSeen Trail. Our experienced Eurohike travel specialists and the Eurohike WANDERPLUS ensure that your hiking tour on the BergeSeen Trail is the perfect active experience. This includes our detailed travel documents, personal on-site support, luggage transfer during your hiking holiday, as well as cosy hotels and accommodation. You can also reach us on our Eurohike service-hotline if you have any questions during your hiking holiday.
- Still have questions about why a hiking holiday with Eurohike is an all-round successful experience? All answers and advantages can be found at a glance here.