Basic information about the Dachstein High Altitude Circular Trail
There’s a reason why the Dachstein High Altitude Circular Trail is special when hiking in the Alps. Our trekking tours here offer everything that all experienced hikers long for - unspoiled nature and more challenging hiking stages at altitudes of 1,500 to 2,000 metres in the Dachstein World Heritage region. The two overnight stays in huts amidst the impressive mountain landscapes are particularly unforgettable. After all, there is no better place than this to experience a sunrise and sunset in nature. On our individual hiking tours, you will discover the beauty of the three provinces of Upper Austria, Salzburg and Styria at your own individual pace: peaceful alpine pastures, high plateaus, limestone and glacier areas, the wilderness including the animal mountain inhabitants, wonderful moments of tranquillity and unspoilt nature as far as the eye can see.
- Find out more about hiking in the Alps.
Whether you are on our hiking tour Dachstein High Altitude Circular Path, 8 days or the hiking tour Dachstein High Altitude Circular Path, 7 days, you will experience the impressive World Heritage Region by foot. This hiking area presents itself during the stages in all its facets and combines peaceful natural landscapes with breathtaking summit adventures and mountain panoramas. After your arrival in Ramsau, the first stage leads through the alpine pasture area of Rinderfeld towards Bischofsmütze, where you enjoy your first night in the Hofpürglhütte in the centre of the mountain landscape.
On the following day, you will pass the Gosausee lake and reach Gosau. Continue on forest paths to the Goiserer Alpenvereinshütte, where fantastic views of the valley and Lake Hallstättersee await you. On the fifth day of the eight-day hiking tour, you have the opportunity for a circular hike through Hallstatt. Continue to the Hochmühleck peak, to the Viehbergalm and finally to the Brünnerhütte on the Stoderzinken, where you can look forward to another night in the mountains. The last stage leads across the high plateau of the Dachstein plateau to the Guttenberghaus in Ramsau.
- Learn more about the fantastic routes and the royal stage on our HikingBlog “Travel story: A high-altitude hike around the Gosau ridge”.
Our Eurohike moments while hiking in the Dachstein region
- Trekking in the Dachstein region: All experienced mountain hikers will get their money's worth on our trekking tours along the Dachstein High Altitude Circular Trail. Whether in seven or eight days - this hiking tour amid unique natural and mountain landscapes will remain in your memory for a long time.
- Romantic alpine pastures and huts: Especially cosy and rustic alpine huts await you on our hiking tours. Right after your first stage, you can look forward to a relaxing evening in the Hofpürglhütte (1,705 metres) at the foot of the Große Bischofsmütze. You can read even more about hiking the dreamlike Dachstein High Altitude Circular Path on our HikingBlog.
- Light & clouds: Stop for a moment on your day's hike and look up - the brilliant light and the clouds are simply impressive!
- Delicious mountain cuisine: What could be better than enjoying the typical cuisine of the region after a challenging hike? Enjoy a warm Kaspressknödel soup or a Kaiserschmarren with ‘Zwetschkenröster’.
- Peace and quiet: The particularly idyllic and natural hiking paths take you far away from the crowds and provide wonderful moments of peace and deceleration.
Trekking in the World Heritage Region
Our trekking tour on the Dachstein High Altitude Circular Trail takes you through three Austrian areas – Salzburg, Styria and Upper Austria. Idyllic alpine landscapes, peaceful high-altitude hiking trails, magnificent mountain panoramas and the "majesty" Dachstein await you here. There’s a reason why this hiking trail is considered one of the most beautiful circular trails in the Alps. This unforgettable active adventure is rounded off by traditional mountain cuisine with typical delicacies from Austria. The route follows challenging hiking paths at an altitude of about 1,500 to 2,000 metres. These tours are particularly ideal for experienced hikers with a good level of fitness and surefootedness. You will be accompanied by the impressive views of the surrounding Alpine areas and the picturesque Salzkammergut.
- Location: In the provinces of Styria, Upper Austria and Salzburg in Austria
- Length: 121 kilometres
- Route: Our trekking tour takes you from Ramsau via Gosau to Bad Goisern and back again via the Stoderzinken to Ramsau.
- Season: Our trekking tours can be booked from June to September.
- Difference in altitude: About 700 to 800 metres of altitude difference await you every day (a little less on two hiking days).
- Highest point: 1,198 metres (the Feisterscharte above the Guttenberghaus on the last hiking day)
- Lowest point: approx. 500 metres (in the Salzkammergut region near Bad Goisern/Hallstatt)
- Trail marking: The official logo of the circular trail and the usual markings in alpine terrain (red-white-red) are used for signposting.
- Altitude Dachstein: 2,996 metres (main peak of the Dachstein mountains and the highest peak of the two provinces of Upper Austria and Styria)
- Tour character: Our hiking tours on the Dachstein Höhenrundweg are classified as 'trekking'. The daily stages are scheduled to take about five to seven hours. We recommend a good level of fitness and surefootedness for these tours. You should be free from vertigo for the occasionally exposed sections.
- Special features: Since 1997, the Dachstein and the cultural landscape Hallstatt-Dachstein/Salzkammergut have been part of the UNESCO World Natural and Cultural Heritage. Did you know that the Dachstein is the only glacier in Upper Austria?
The Dachstein High Altitude Circular Trail stretches across the three Austrian provinces of Salzburg, Styria and Upper Austria.
- More tour suggestions for hiking holidays in Austria at a glance.
The total length of the Dachstein High Altitude Circular Trail is 121 kilometres. Depending on the duration of the multi-day trekking tour (8 or 7 days), you will cover a total of between 77 and 90 kilometres by foot on our hiking tours.
Our hiking tours on the Dachstein High Altitude Circular Trail are assigned to our level of hiking 'Trekking'. Here you can expect challenging high-altitude hikes with daily walking times of up to seven hours. An ideal trekking tour for exercise-hungry active holidaymakers and experienced hikers.
Our trekking tours on the Dachstein High Altitude Circular Trail have countless highlights in store for you:
- Impressive high-altitude hiking trails and panoramic peaks
- Peaceful alpine landscapes
- Unforgettable sunrises and sunsets
- Wild nature, natural forests and mountain animals such as chamois
- Romantic mountain hut evenings
- Traditional mountain cuisine
- Magnificent mountain panoramas
- Cosy overnight stays in mountain huts
- Orientation reliability while hiking with the detailed Eurohike travel documents
The daily stages on our trekking tours on the Dachstein High Altitude Circular Trail are planned at five to seven hours. We recommend a good basic level of fitness, surefootedness and good shoes for the demanding high-altitude hiking trails.
The route of our hiking tours on the Dachstein High Altitude Circular Trail takes you from Ramsau to Gosau, on to Bad Goisern, Hallstatt, the hiking area on the Stoderzinken and back to Ramsau in Styria.
The ideal time for a hiking tour on the Dachstein High Altitude Circular Trail is in the warmer months from June until September.
- Here you can find more inspiration for hiking tours in summer.
On our hiking tours along the Dachstein High Altitude Circular Trail you will stay in cosy hotels, inns and huts in the midst of the picturesque mountain landscapes.
Perfectly organised hiking holidays on the Dachstein High Altitude Circular Trail
A colourful variety as far as the eye can see – this and much more awaits hikers on the Dachstein High Altitude Circular Trail. Our experienced Eurohike travel specialists and the Eurohike WANDERPLUS ensure that your hiking tour on the Dachstein High Altitude Circular Trail is the perfect trekking experience. This includes our detailed travel documents, personal on-site support, luggage transfer during your trekking holiday, as well as cosy hotels and accommodation. You can also reach us on our Eurohike service-hotline if you have any questions during your hiking holiday.
- Still have questions about why a hiking holiday with Eurohike is an all-round successful experience? All answers and advantages can be found at a glance here.