Matterhorn & Aletsch
The highlight of Valais.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Zermatt
Car free and at the base of the Matterhorn, Zermatt is one of the most beautiful villages of the Swiss Alps. Enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of the Wallis Alps.
Zermatt – Europe cottage
Early in the morning, you take the cable railway up to Sunnegga. A alpine path with lots of views leads you out of the valley. You get to see the snowy peak of the Weisshorn and the Hohlicht glacier. Before you reach the Europa cottage, you cross the longest suspension bridge in the world!
Europe cottage – Grächen
You wake up at the base of the Dom on 2’265 metres with a view of the Biis glacier. The tour continues on the Europa path on which you will have to conquer some peaks today. The Matterhorn keeps getting further away; in the afternoon you will reach the Wallis mauntain village of Grächen.
The so called Suonen paths were established along old water pipes and lead to pastures and mountain cottages all around Grächen. Die sogenannten Suonenwege wurden entlang alter Wasserleitungen angelegt und führen zu den Weiden und Alphütten rund um Grächen. A gentle splashing and spectacular views of the Ried glacier will lead your way today.
Grächen – Bettmeralp
In the morning you have the transfer to Fiesch where you take the cable railway up to the Fiescheralp. Now the scenery changes and the alpine world of the UNESCO heritage region Aletsch-Jungfrau moves into view. From the Fiescheralp you hike up to the Märjelen lake. There, you can marvel at the world famous Aletsch glacier. In good weather condition you might be able to spot the Matterhorn every once in a while.
Bettmeralp – Belalp
Today you will get to see exciting heights and tranquil forests. You first go up to the Blausee (blue lake) and then steeply down to the protected Aletsch forest. Ancient stone pines and diverse flora and fauna are waiting for you at the foothills of the glaciers. Afterwards you cross another suspension bridge and reach the small settlement Belalp.
For the Europa path from Zermatt to Grächen, you need a safe step and can’t be afraid of heights. There are some exposed places, but they are well secured.
Category: 1 x 4**** hotel, 4 x 3*** hotels, 1 x mountain cottage (communal rooms)
- 6 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- 1 x evening meal (Europe Cottage)
- Luggage transfer (except Europe Cottage)
- Cable car fare Zermatt – Sunnegga
- Cable car fare Fiesch – Fiescheralp
- Transfer Grächen - Fiesch
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS data availabe
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Arrival by train via Visp to Zermatt.
- Park & Ride in Täsch. EUR 11,- a day, no reservation possible. From there, take the Glacier-Express to the car free Zermatt.
- Departure by train from Brig to Täsch, duration approx. 2 hours.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!