Basic information about Ticino
In Ticino alpine landscapes meet southern flair. With a diverse flora and fauna, the region enchants active holidaymakers from the first mile of hiking. On the one hand you encounter typical alpine backdrops and quiet forests, on the other hand palm-lined promenades, wonderful lakes and a typical southern atmosphere. This successful harmony of contrasts makes Ticino the ideal destination for a wonderful active holiday in the fresh air. Not only the flora and fauna is shaped by the south, the cultural diversity is also influenced by the neighbouring countries, whereby Ticino has developed a completely independent culture over the years. The beautiful canton in the south of Switzerland offers the ideal hiking experience for every requirement and every energy level – from wonderful mountain hikes with lots of alpine experiences to enjoyable tours through romantic nature. Experience Switzerland’s sunniest area on foot – during your walking holiday without luggage with Eurohike.
Highlights of Ticino
The real Italianità awaits you on our walking holidays Highlights of Ticino, 7 days. Panoramic mountain trails, lively cities, glittering lakes, typical villages and culinary delights will be your companions over five daily stages. You start your active holiday in Bellinzona with an ascent to Cima di Dentro. Continue via Tesserete to Monte Brè and, after a short photo stop on the imposing viewing platform, take the cogwheel train down to Lugano. The next day’s stage also has a wonderful hike ready for you. From Monte San Salvatore you go to Vico Morcote and continue by boat and cable car to Serpiano. On the last day you will experience Monte San Giorgio up close, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the ‘Mountain of Fossils’ before you reach the stage destination of Medrisio. A wonderful hiking trip that you can also experience as a walking holiday with your dog, thanks to the good routes.
Facts and details
- Highest point: Rheinwaldhorn at 3,402 metres
- Lowest point: Lake Maggiore at 193 metres above sea level (the lowest point in Switzerland)
- Location: Southern Switzerland (largest part of Italian Switzerland)
- Time to travel: Best hiking time is from April to October
- Special feature: Ticino is one of the most valuable and important wine-growing regions in Europe and both regions north and south of the Monte Ceneri pass are ideal for growing vines.
- Climate: The region is characterised by a mild, Mediterranean climate with low head and moderate cold, as well as humidity.
Ticino not only offers wonderful moments of pleasure for body and mind – the taste buds are also in for a treat in southern Switzerland. Whether that is tasting the regional specialities in one of the numerous delicatessens in Lugano or enjoying a cosy dinner in one of the many grottos with a regional glass of Merlot. Wonderful moments of pleasure are guaranteed on a hiking holiday in Ticino.
- You can read more about the wonderful hiking region of Ticino, including the culinary delights in our travel report ‘Thomas in beautiful Ticino’ on our HikingBlog.
Our Eurohike walking holidays Highlights of Ticino, 7 days promise a real lightening of the mood. You will experience the most beautiful places and highlights of southern Switzerland. You hike individually and are always accompanied by wonderful panoramic views. The stages are short, but the ascents and descents are more demanding. We therefore recommend a good basic fitness level and surefootedness in order to be able to enjoy the hike in Ticino to the fullest.
- Find out more about our Eurohike levels of hiking.
Eurohike walking holidays in Ticino
Hiking holidays in southern Switzerland: a wonderful individual break in nature and always from one highlight to the next in Ticino. You can experience all this and much more on our walking holidays Highlights of Ticino, 7 days. We at Eurohike ensure that everything runs smoothly during you holiday. With our
- detailed travel documents
- inviting hotels and accommodation
- personal on-site support and
- reliable luggage transfer, you are well looked after.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on our service-hotline.
Why a hiking holiday with Eurohike? Read here how we ensure your perfect active experience.