Basic information about Mont Blanc
At around 4,810 metres, the Mont Blanc massif extends over parts of France, Italy and Switzerland and forms the ‘roof of Europe’. Mont Blanc is not only the highest mountain in the Alps, but also in the European Union and 24 peaks in the mountain group sit at over 4,000 metres above sea level. From an international perspective, Mont Blanc ranks third among the most popular and prominent mountains. A true hiking experience awaits you here on the highest mountain in the Alps. On a hiking holiday in Switzerland you will experience a carefree active experience with Eurohike including luggage transfer.
- All facts and details about hiking in the Alps at a glance.
Tour Mont Blanc West
The best of the Mont-Blanc massif: on our three hiking tours we have created the most beautiful routes and tours through the mountain range for you. For example, the Tour Mont Blanc West takes you over seven days from Martigny via Chamonix, on to Les Houches and Les Contamines to Bourg-Saint-Moutice. At almost all stages there is a possibility to choose between a more intensive and a lighter option and thus offers something for every energy level. Idyllic mountain villages, authentic mountain inns and summit panoramas with unique views await you on this beautiful long-distance hiking trail.
- All details and information about the Tour Mont Blanc West, 7 days can be found here.
Tour du Mont Blanc
The absolute classic among hiking tours is the twelve-day Tour du Mont Blanc walking tour. Trekking fans get their money’s worth on this hiking trip with intensive daily stages lasting several hours and a climb of up to 1,000 metres in altitude per day. During these hiking holidays you will experience three countries from their most beautiful side: impressive peaks and valleys, traditional mountaineering huts, lookout points and the beautiful mountain lake Lac Blanc. A special kind of active trip that you will definitely remember for a long time.
- Find out more about the popular hiking tour Tour du Mont Blanc, 12 days here.
Tour Mont Blanc East
Discover the most beautiful mountain valleys in Europe on the seven-day Tour Mont Blanc East. You hike through the Aosta Valley and Val Ferret, always accompanied by a unique glacier panorama. The starting point of this tour is Martigny. From there the journey takes you via Champex to La Fouley and Arnouva Val Ferret. Continue over the summit crests to Courmayeur, where wonderful Italian specialties await you in the Rifugio Elisabetta refuge, to the destination stage in the idyllic Alpine town of Bourg-Saint-Maurice. Do you already feel the magic that exudes from this special mountain range?
- You can find more information and all tour details for the Tour Mont Blanc East, 7 days here.
Facts and details
Our Eurohike team has summarized some important facts and details about hiking holidays in the Mont Blanc area for you:
- Height: 4,810 metres
- Location: Mostly in Haute-Savoie in France, parts in Aosta Valley (Italy) and in Valais (Switzerland)
- The massif extends over 400km2
- Special feature: It’s the third most visited mountain in the world
- First ascent: On August 8, 1786 by Jacques Balmat and Doktor Paccard
- Ice and firn: The highest alpine peak consists of ice and firn. The height of the mountain is subject to natural changes that occur due to the weather and season
- Travel time: Best hiking time is from June to September
- You can read 7 insider tips for a tour in Mont Blanc on our Eurohike HikingBlog.
A good basic fitness level and surefootedness are required for the sometimes longer stages. Some stages also require a head for heights and alpine terrain experience is necessary, especially for hiking tours in the higher mountain areas. However, one thing is guaranteed: a hiking tour in the Mont Blanc area is a unique active experience that you won’t forget in a hurry – on a hiking holiday without luggage with Eurohike.
Our hiking tours in the Mont Blanc area lead through high alpine regions and can therefore be booked from July to September.
A mountain hiking tour or trekking holiday in the Mont Blanc area is the perfect active experience for all mountain hikers. The region between Martigny, Chamonix, Val Ferret, La Fouly and Bourg-Saint-Maurice is particularly ideal for an unforgettable hiking adventure. For the sometimes demanding stages in the alpine area, we recommend a good basic level of fitness, sure-footedness and mountain experience.
- More information about hiking in the Alps at a glance.
In the Mont Blanc area we offer these individual hiking tours:
- Trekking: Tour du Mont Blanc, 12 days
- Trekking: Tour Mont Blanc West, 7 days
- Mountain Hiking: Tour Mont Blanc East, 7 days
Even more information and tour options for hiking in Switzerland.
Spectacular mountain panoramas, high alpine pastures, summit experiences, mountain lakes, refuges and alpine huts, alpine rivers and wonderful moments of peace await when hiking in the Mont Blanc region. On our cross-border hiking tour Tour du Mont Blanc, 12 days, you will explore the three countries: Switzerland, France and Italy.
- You can read even more insider tips for a tour in Mont Blanc on our HikingBlog.
Everything organized: Eurohike walking holidays
A hiking tour in the Mont Blanc area is both a challenge and a source of calm. Because hardly anywhere else can you find such impressive mountain landscapes and alpine beauties as in Switzerland. During our Eurohike walking holidays you are always well looked after and our Eurohike team ensures a perfectly organised hiking trip. With our detailed travel documents and personal support on-site, you can relax in our selected accommodation after a day of hiking. Hiking without luggage: we ensure a smooth and prompt luggage transfer for a hike without burden on your shoulders. And if you should have questions on-site, you can of course contact us on the service-hotline.
- Read more about why hiking holidays with Eurohike are an all-round successful active experience.