From the Barbaresco to the Barolo.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Alba – Treiso
You comfortably walk along the river Tanaro to Barbareso, the first ‚wine metropolis’ of your walking tour. In Barbaresco everything revolves around splendid wine, we suggest you sample ‚Barolo’s little brother’ in the Enoteca Regionale located in the converted church San Donato. The route leads you through the typical landscape of the Langhe region along vast vineyards into picturesque Neive. You spend the night in Treiso, situated in the centre of the Langa del Barbaresco, this village has already been popular as a holiday destination by the Romans.
Hotel example: Domus Langhe
Treiso – Cravanzana
On your way to the hamlet of Canta you walk along the Rocche di Sette Fratelli, a deep gorge situated between soft vineyards. Then you continue towards San Bovo enjoying marvellous panoramic views and finally reach the flower village of Castino, located onto top of a hill between the Bormida and Belbo river valleys. In the Middle Ages it was an affluent focal point with three monasteries and today you can marvel at the first truffle grove for tourists in this region. The route leads you along the ridge of a hill in between chestnut- and hazelnut trees to Cravanzana.
Hotel example: Da Maurizio
Cravanzana – Bossolasco
From the heart of hazelnut growing, the route takes you on slightly hilly terrain through the upper Belbo-river valley, well-known for potato growing via Feisoglio to Niella Belbo. The architectural style of this medieval village was shaped by Napoleon’s march through, hence the byname ‚dei francesi’. After a range of hills with marvellous views onto sleepy little villages and old ruins, you reach San Benedetto with the same-named lake. A short transfer takes you to the well-known flower villlage of Bossolasco.
Hotel example: Da Fabiana
Today the terrain is initially hilly, and accompanied by hazelnut groves you reach the little village of Serravalle Langhe. Then onwards through the Bric della Vacca and vineyards to Roddino. After a short rest at the Church of St. Mary your next Day Finish is the medieval farming village of Sinio. Wine is back! The path snakes uphill to the village and the medieval castle of Serralunga d'Alba.
Hotel example: Le Arcate
Today’s route leads you through light hazelnut groves and wild forests into the magically situated Monforte d´Alba. The impressive campanile and Scarampi palace can already be seen from afar. In medieval Monforte we recommend a stroll through the little alleyways and a snack in the numerous restaurants and wine stores. You continue your tour with ecstasizing views into the valley until you reach your day finish, the world-famous wine village of Barolo, where a marvellous wine-tasting awaits you.
Hotel example: Barolo
Barolo – Alba
Walking through the vineyards of the best wines in the world you continue your tour to the idyllic village La Morra, best-know as the ‚balcony of Langhe’. One last time enjoy the impressive panorama onto the entire Barolo region, on a clear day you can even see as far as the Alps and Monte Viso. En route back to Alba you pass the castles of Verduno and Roddi.
Hotel example: Calissano
Departure or extra days
The terrain is hilly and the route leads through vineyards and forests. Daily walking tours vary in walking times and can last up to 5 hours. The route leads you along walking paths alternating with mule tracks, gravel paths and in parts along asphalted sections. A good basic fitness level is required, so you can thoroughly enjoy the wonderful views from the medieval villages towering over the valley.
Category: 2x 4**** hotel (Alba), mid-range hotels and beautiful Italian country houses ‚Agriturismi’ (some featuring a swimming pool)
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Wine tasting (English)
- Transfers according to program
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Airport transfer Milano (Malpensa, Linate) – Alba: EUR 230 up to 3 persons, EUR 270 up to 7 persons, EUR 340 from 8 persons, duration approx. 2 hours.
- Airport transfer Milano (Orio al Serio) – Alba: EUR 280 up to 3 persons, EUR 340 up to 7 persons, EUR 390 from 8 persons, duration approx. 2.5 hours.
- Airport transfer Turin (Caselle) – Alba: EUR 140 up to 3 persons, EUR 180 up to 7 persons, EUR 230 from 8 persons, duration approx. 1.5 hours.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Airport Turin or Milano. From Turin by train to Alba (1x change of trains), duration approx. 1.5 hours, or from Milano by train to Alba (2x change of trains), duration approx. 3 hours.
- By train to Alba.
- Parking: Hotel parking spaces cost approx. EUR 15 per day. No reservation possible.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Special dates on request
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!