Coastal Hiking in Southern Sweden.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum of participants: 2 persons
Arrival in Ystad
The start of your hiking week is the homeland of the renowned detective superintendent Kurt Wallander.
Ystad – Kåseberga
You leave Ystad via the harbour and walk along an esplanade through Sandskogen. You cross the river Nybroån, renowned for silver salmon fishing. The scenery is vast and open and the more you approach the Hammars Backar, the higher the hills become. In perfect wind conditions you get to wonderfully watch seagulls and paragliders. Your route leads you along the sea and past the Ale’s Stones all the way to Kåseberga.
Kåseberga – Skillinge
Following the Österlenleden-hiking path you walk along the coast until the beach in Löderup. This is where you leave the sea and haed for the nature reserve of Hagestad. Once you arrive in Sandhammaren you return to the coast again, consisting of extensive dune landscaped and inviting sandy beaches along this section.
Skillinge – Simrishamn
Today you walk across beach meadows, past impressive rock formations and picturesque fishing villages. As soon as you reach the fishing village of Gislövshammar the sandy beaches are replaced by slate and limestone. The coastal strip between Brantevik and Simrishamn mainly consists of pastures with bushes. You spend the night in the little fishing town of Simrishamn, where exquisite restaurants invite you to dinner after having explored the historic district.
Simrishamn – Kivik
A diverse landscape leads you to endless sandy beaches, lush meadows on the shore with boulders and through orchards, which are very characteristic for this region. Whilst walking through this slightly hilly terrain you come by fishing spots and beech forests. Another highlight is Stenshuvud National Park with a hill of 97 m in altitude, from where you can glance back onto today’s route.
Kivik – Brösarp
Hiking tour into the idyllic little fishing village of Vitemölla. From there the route leads you along the sea again. You enjoy the route guiding you through the nature reserve Vitemölla Strandbackar to the Verkaån-confluence of rivers, a moor landscape with unusual vegetation due to the sandy steppeland. Then onwards through the magnificent Verkeån-valley on undulating terrain to Brösarp.
Brösarp – Alunbruket
Across the northern hills of Brösarp you walk into the beech forests of Skåne to the river Verkaån, winding across the landscape with its unique water system. Due to the naturally occuring rapids the water is clean and crystal clear, the climate here in spring and summer nearly has a tropical feel to it. Stunningly beautiful is also the ‚Hallamölla’, the highest waterfall of Skåne.
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
You walk on hilly terrain along well-maintained hiking paths, mostly along the coast, as well as along paths through forests and across meadows and side roads. A basic fitness level is sufficient, longer stages can in parts be shortened by public transport.
Category: Mid-range hotels, lovely inns and B&Bs
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- 1x evening meal in Alunbruket
- Luggage transfer (1 luggage per person)
- Return transfer Alunbruket – Brösarp
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-tracks available
- Service hotline
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Copenhagen Airport, via train (www.sj.se) in approx. 1.5 hours to Ystad (1x change of trains in Malmö).
- Parking: public parking spaces at the harbour, approx. EUR 2 per week, no reservation.
- Included transfer from Alunbruket to Bösarp. From Brösarp via bus in approx. 1 hour back to Ystad. Alternatively, via bus and train in approx. 3 hours to Copenhagen (1x change of trains).
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!