Arrival in Florence
Walk along the traces of the Medici through gorgeous alleyways and across the bridge Ponte Vecchio to the Piazza della Signoria – the centre and heart of the old part of town.
Your first hiking tour warms the cockles of your heart straight away with all Tuscany has to offer with regards to classical dreamscape: vineyards and forests, as well as old stone houses and high rising cypresses avenues line your way – Tuscany picture-perfect. Greve in Chianti invites you to explore the ‚Laubengänge‘-arcades on the lively Piazza.
Along remote forest paths you walk past numerous wine-growing estates towards Panzano, a little Etruscan hamlet worth visiting. Then through golden corn fields and via vineyards onwards to Lucarelli, before you take a short bus ride and reach the Medieval Castellina with its historic town wall.
Along pilgrims‘ tracks the route leads you along the Via Romea only along a segment of it towards the eternal city. Your Day Finish is the charming town of Siena, renowned for the traditional horse race ‚Palio‘, numerous fantastically preserved city gates dating back to the Middle Ages as well as red-brick buildings along the semi-circular Piazza del Campo.
Siena – San Gimignano
Today you are off into the ‚Valle Col d´Elsa‘. Explore the historic fortress complex and marvel at the Medieval architecture of Colle, before you proceed through vineyards and along roaring rivers to the „Manhattan of Tuscany“, your Day Finish San Gimignano, this nick name is due to its silhouette reminding us of a skyline. Take a stroll through the many little alleyways and marvel at the seemingly countless number of towers.
San Gimignano – Volterra
In the Monte Nero nature reserve you discover green forests and the ‚Cascate della Strolla‘, a little waterfall with crystal-clear water. The ancient salt trade route Via del Sale leads you directly to the alabaster-city Volterra, on your way you pass ancient Etruscan grave chambers that are worth a visit. Discover the Medieval belfry rising high above the city, the panoramic views over the old part of town will fittingly rewards your efforts.
Volterra – Cecina Mare
As a finale to your hiking week the Tuscan coast awaits with an extensive hiking tour through the Pineta of Cecina, a giant pine tree grove with numerous entwined paths and tracks. Enjoy your final evening in Tuscany with a glass of Chianti looking out onto the turquoise glistening of the Tyrrhenian Sea, whilst the two islands Elba and La Gorgona quietly sink into the sea at the horizon in the crimson evening sun.
You always walk on well-maintained hiking paths and trails. Daily routes mostly lead you along vineyards, forests and through soft rolling landscape. A good basic fitness level is sufficient for walking times of up to 4.5 hours maximum, there is plenty of time to enjoy the cultural highlight of the one of a kind region in peace and quiet.
Category: 4****- and 3***-hotels and beautiful Italian lodges ‚Agriturismi‘
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Wine tasting in Greve in Chianti (English)
- Transfer San Gimignano – Ulignano
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Florence airport, by bus in about 30 minutes to the main train station or you can take a short taxi ride, approx. EUR 25 per journey.
- Parking: limited number of hotel parking spaces available free of charge or public parking spaces near the hotel, approx. EUR 70 per week. Public car park at the edge of the city, approx. EUR 20 per week. Underground parking spaces (limited number) approx. EUR 20 to EUR 36 per day. Payable on spot, no reservation in advance possible.
- Return journey from Cecina Mare to Cecina by bus, from there by train to Florence, duration approx. 2 hours.
Things to note;
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Bus rides (Florence – Gabbiano, Lucarelli – Castellina, Siena, Siena – Colle Val d´Elsa, Saline/Volterra – Cecina), approx. EUR 15 per person
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!