West Highland Way
Scotland’s Hiking Classic.
- 10 Days / 9 Nights
- Self-guided Tour
Arrival in Milngavie
Milngavie – Drymen
Through the old county of Lennox you walk across a rural area into the small town of Drymen. A must is to stop and taste one (or more) of the outstanding whiskeys at Glengoyne Distillery.
Drymen – Rowardennan
Today’s section offers a nice change in scenery alternating between Lowlands and Highlands. This is most apparent from ‚Conic Hill’, the ascent is indeed strenuous, however the stunning views onto Loch Lomond and others treats will more than make up for it.
The majority of this day is spent walking along the east banks of Loch Lomond. A beautiful trail along roaring wild streams, green forests, a hill moor and an abundance of animals awaits. Enjoy this day in Trossachs National Park with all of your five senses.
After climbing uphill and downhill many times in the past few days, the path is much more comfortably today. The West Highland Way rises slowly from Inverarnan till you pass the small village of Crianlarich. From here you can see the peaks of Ben More and Stob Binnean while enjoying the views of Loch Lomond. You continue through solitary forests to Crianlarich, your stage destination for today.
Wonderful views await you today too. A slightly longer climb uphill awaits you directly after the small village of Bridge of Orchy. Afterwards you walk on old military roads and advance rapidly. The roads lead you past small woodlands to the hotel at Inveroran. It is extremely isolated in the middle of the Scottish Highlands.
Along an old military path, you walk past countless, deep black lakes. The aim of today is Kingshouse – a former trading station in the middle of Scottish Highlands. On the way you even pass a small ski-resort.
Follow an old army road from Kingshouse to Altnafeadh while enjoying a marvellous view on to the well-known ‚Weeping Glens’. Via the ‚Devils Staircase’, a col which is also the highest point (550 m) of the West Highland Way, onwards with breathtaking views of Ben Navis, Scotland’s highest mountain, into the pretty little town Kinlochleven.
Fantastic views along your trail, through a quiet valley with pine forests and moors onwards into the direction of Fort William. Approximately half way there you reach a col which takes you to Glen Nevis. At the opposite side of this valley towers Ben Nevis. Walk past Ben Nevis Visitor Center from where the ‚Glen Nevis street’ steers you towards your final destination Fort William.
Departure or extension
Although the ‚West Highland Way’ is the most well-known Scottish long-distance walking trail, you nevertheless walk on deserted paths amidst impressive scenery. For the daily hikes, a good fitness level and surefootedness are required. Mainly well marked hiking trails.
| Season 1 |
19.03.2022 - 08.04.2022
23.04.2022 - 20.05.2022
24.09.2022 - 16.10.2022
| Season 2 |
09.04.2022 - 22.04.2022
21.05.2022 - 23.09.2022
|West Highland Way, 10 days, UK-SOWMF-10X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single room||719.00||719.00|
Category: beautiful 3***-hotels and B&B`s
You can book extra nights for any day of your tour, as well as in Edinburgh and Glasgow. Prices upon request!
| Season 1 |
Mar 19, 2022 - Apr 8, 2022
Apr 23, 2022 - May 20, 2022
Sep 24, 2022 - Oct 16, 2022
| Season 2 |
Apr 9, 2022 - Apr 22, 2022
May 21, 2022 - Sep 23, 2022
|Double room p. P.||69.00||69.00|
|Surcharge single room||29.00||29.00|
|Double room p. P.||79.00||79.00|
|Surcharge single room||65.00||65.00|
- Overnight stays as stated
- Luggage transfer
- 1 Tour Glengoyne distillery, incl. tasting
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS data available
- Service hotline
- Transfer from Glasgow Airport/Glasgow City Center to Milngavie (max. 4 persons), price per journey EUR 55, duration approx. 0,5 hours.
- Transfer from Edinburgh Airport to Milngavie (max. 4 persons), price per journey EUR 109, duration approx. 1,5 hours.
- Transfer from Fort William to Glasgow Airport/Glasgow City Center (max. 4 persons), price per journey EUR 199, duration approx. 2,5 hours.
- Transfer from Fort William to Edinburgh Airport (max. 4 persons), price per journey EUR 249 p, duration approx. 3 hours.
- Transfer from Fort William to Edinburgh City Center (max. 4 persons), price per journey EUR 269, duration approx. 3 hours.
- A reservation is necessary for all transfers. The transfers are to be paid for in advance.
Arrival / Departure:
- Airport Edinburgh or Glasgow. By shuttlebus into city center and by train (www.nationalrail.com) in approx. 1,5 hours (Edinburgh) or 45 minutes (Glasgow) to Milngavie.
- Return journey from Fort William to Edinburgh or Glasgow or Edinburghby bus approx. 3 hours to 4 hours. Reservation is recommended (www.citylink.co.uk).
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!