West Highland Way
Scotland’s Hiking Classic.
- 10 Days / 9 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Milngavie
Milngavie – Drymen
Through the old county of Lennox you walk across a rural area into the small town of Drymen. A must is to stop and taste one (or more) of the outstanding whiskeys at Glengoyne Distillery.
Drymen – Rowardennan
Today’s section offers a nice change in scenery alternating between Lowlands and Highlands. This is most apparent from ‚Conic Hill’, the ascent is indeed strenuous, however the stunning views onto Loch Lomond and others treats will more than make up for it.
The majority of this day is spent walking along the east banks of Loch Lomond. A beautiful trail along roaring wild streams, green forests, a hill moor and an abundance of animals awaits. Enjoy this day in Trossachs National Park with all of your five senses.
After climbing uphill and downhill many times in the past few days, the path is much more comfortably today. The West Highland Way rises slowly from Inverarnan till you pass the small village of Crianlarich. From here you can see the peaks of Ben More and Stob Binnean while enjoying the views of Loch Lomond. You continue through solitary forests to Crianlarich, your stage destination for today.
Wonderful views await you today too. A slightly longer climb uphill awaits you directly after the small village of Bridge of Orchy. Afterwards you walk on old military roads and advance rapidly. The roads lead you past small woodlands to the hotel at Inveroran. It is extremely isolated in the middle of the Scottish Highlands.
Along an old military path, you walk past countless, deep black lakes. The aim of today is Kingshouse – a former trading station in the middle of Scottish Highlands. On the way you even pass a small ski-resort.
Follow an old army road from Kingshouse to Altnafeadh while enjoying a marvellous view on to the well-known ‚Weeping Glens’. Via the ‚Devils Staircase’, a col which is also the highest point (550 m) of the West Highland Way, onwards with breathtaking views of Ben Navis, Scotland’s highest mountain, into the pretty little town Kinlochleven.
Fantastic views along your trail, through a quiet valley with pine forests and moors onwards into the direction of Fort William. Approximately half way there you reach a col which takes you to Glen Nevis. At the opposite side of this valley towers Ben Nevis. Walk past Ben Nevis Visitor Center from where the ‚Glen Nevis street’ steers you towards your final destination Fort William.
Departure or extension
Although the ‚West Highland Way’ is the most well-known Scottish long-distance walking trail, you nevertheless walk on deserted paths amidst impressive scenery. For the daily hikes, a good fitness level and surefootedness are required. Mainly well marked hiking trails.
| Season 1 |
04.04.2020 - 09.04.2020
26.09.2020 - 10.10.2020
| Season 2 |
10.04.2020 - 15.05.2020
29.08.2020 - 25.09.2020
| Season 3 |
16.05.2020 - 28.08.2020
|West Highland Way 10 days, UK-SOWMF-10X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single room||529.00||529.00||529.00|
Category: 3*-hotels and B&B`s
| Season 1 |
Apr 4, 2020 - Apr 9, 2020
Sep 26, 2020 - Oct 10, 2020
| Season 2 |
Apr 10, 2020 - May 15, 2020
Aug 29, 2020 - Sep 25, 2020
| Season 3 |
May 16, 2020 - Aug 28, 2020
|Extra night p.p. dbl/bb||75.00||75.00||75.00|
|Extra night sgl/bb||110.00||110.00||110.00|
|Extra night p.p. dbl/bb||69.00||69.00||69.00|
|Extra night sgl/bb||128.00||128.00||128.00|
- 9 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Tour Glengoyne distillery, incl. tasting
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS data available
- Service hotline
- Organised transfer from Glasgow Airport/Glasgow City Center to Milngavie, EUR 65 per journey up to 4 persons, duration approx. 0,5 hours.
- Organised transfer from Edinburgh Airport to Milngavie, EUR 120 per journey up to 4 persons, duration approx. 1,5 hours.
- Organised transfer from Fort William to Glasgow Airport/Glasgow City Center, EUR 220 per journey up to 4 persons, duration approx. 2,5 hours.
- Organised transfer from Fort William to Edinburgh Airport, EUR 260 per journey up to 4 persons, duration approx. 3 hours.
- Organised transfer from Fort William to Edinburgh City Center, EUR 280 per journey up to 4 persons, duration approx. 3 hours.
- A reservation is necessary for all transfers. The transfers are to be paid for in advance.
Arrival / Departure:
- Airport Edinburgh or Glasgow. By shuttlebus into city center and by train (www.nationalrail.com) in approx. 1,5 hours (Edinburgh) or 45 minutes (Glasgow) to Milngavie.
- Return journey from Fort William to Edinburgh or Glasgow or Edinburghby bus approx. 3 hours to 4 hours. Reservation is recommended (www.citylink.co.uk).
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!