Steep Coast of Brittany
Ragged cliffs and rural life.
- 9 Days / 8 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Paimpol
You have the choice between visiting the Beaufort Abbey (13th century) and a round trip on flower island Bréhat. There exotic plants from all over the world grow as they once had been brought by the sailors: hydrangeas in splendid colours, laurel, mimosas and eucalyptus trees (short boat trip).
From Paimpol to Tréguier
By taxi to the tip of the peninsula to Sillon de Talbert. Here you walk along the lovely coast to Tréguier on river Jaudy, where you will stay overnight.
Tour around the Plougrescant peninsula, a treat for all nature lovers. Wild flowers as erica, gorse, orchids, poppy and sea-cabbage can be admired along the route. In Port-Blanc you can take a bath in the sea, walk along the sandy beach or enjoy a sun-set from the hotel terrace.
Walk along a coastal path through many pretty settlements with lovely gardens to Perros-Guirec. The gardens in Brittany flourish all year long with flowers as e.g. mimosa, camellias, geranium and many more. Overnight in Perros-Guirec, a well known holiday village in Northern Bretagne with picture-book harbour.
Opposite of Perros-Guirec the oldest bird sanctuary of France, the „Seven Islands“ lay. Here penguins, gannets and other birds found undisturbed breeding grounds. You should visit the island quite early in the morning to enjoy your walk along the impressive coast of “pink granite” with bizarre rock formations.
A comfortable walk along the beach. Admire rocky boulders with names as “hare”, “devil’ castle” or “tortoise” and enjoy scenic views on the cliff island with castle Costaérès.
We can recommend the excursion to „Ile Grande“, an island that can be reached via a bridge. Here birds are protected especially. On your way to the end of the island you reach a promontory with beautiful views on the Pink Granite coast. Or you enjoy a rest day in picturesque Ploumanach.
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
Comfortable walking on meadow lanes, minor roads and dunes. Partly marked as „Grand Route“. Daily stages can be adjusted individually and a good basic fitness level is sufficient.
Category A: pretty 3***-hotels on the beach or harbor, partly with sea view (French classifying)
Category B: pretty 2** and partly 3***-hotels, partly on the beach or harbor (French classifying)
- 8 resp. 6 overnight stays in selected category, breakfast included
- 5x resp. 3x evening meal (1x Paimpol/Tréguier, 2x Perros-Guirec, resp. 2x Ploumanach)
- Luggage transfer
- Taxi transfer on Day 3
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English, French)
- Service hotline
- Organised transfer from Ploumanach or Perros-Guirec to Paimpol, cost EUR 115 per fare (Sunday and holiday EUR 145). Reservation required, payable in advance.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Paris airport and then by train to Paimpol in ca. 3,5 to 4 hours (1x change of trains).
- Car parking: free, unguarded car park opposite of the starting hotel, no reservation.
- Return journey from Perros-Guirec or Ploumanach to Lannion by train, approx. 1 hour (www.tibus.fr). Then further by train.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Number of participants: min. 2 persons
- Bus and boat fares, approx. EUR 15 per person
- Extra nights in Ploumanach only bookable for the 9 days tour