Premium hiking trails in Germany
A hiking trip at a premium level – that is the claim we at Eurohike not only place on our trips, but also on our selected hiking routes. Therefore, the certified premium hiking trails in Germany offer the ideal conditions for a successful hiking experience. Premium hiking trails are well-marked, well-maintained and continuously monitored along the entire route. These hiking trails are well signposted and guarantee a huge amount of opportunity for adventure for hikers.
This valuable certification is awarded by the German Hiking Institute, based in Marburg, and evaluates the hiking trails on the basis of 34 criteria, which are divided into 5 categories:
- Path format (e.g. width, surface)
- Nature and landscape (e.g. water, edge of forest, animal enclosures)
- Culture and civilisation (e.g. historical buildings, gastronomy, special buildings)
- Hiking guidance system (e.g. signposts, benches, rest spots)
- Other criteria (e.g. routing, proximity to nature)
Quality hiking trails in Germany
A hiking trail that has been awarded the seal of quality “Qualitätsweg Wanderbares Deutschland” by the German Hiking Association should not only be acceptable to the hiker, it should also meet a certain path format, route guidance system, as well as selected nature, landscape and cultural requirements. Compared to the premium hiking trails, the quality hiking trails are rated according to 9 core and 23 optional criteria. The key criteria include a balanced route on unused roads, the nature of the paths, as well as the width of the paths and how natural they are.
Furthermore, visitor guidance or user-friendly markings, variety and the experience away from the path are among the most important key criteria for achieving certification.
But sustainability is also a top priority when choosing these hiking trails. The assessment is repeated every three years to continuously improve and maintain the quality of the hiking trail.
© Naturpark Altmühltal
© Schluchtensteig Schwarzwald
With Eurohike on the most beautiful hiking trails in Germany
We at Eurohike have summarised the most beautiful and certified hiking trails in Germany at a glance:
- Rhine walking: Mainz - Koblenz, 11 days: Premium hiking trail in Rhineland-Palatinate
- Salzalpensteig – Hiking Trail 1, 8 days: Premium hiking trail in Bavaria
- Altmühltal-Panorama-Path, 9 days: Quality hiking trail in Bavaria
- Moselle and Eifel Trail, 8 days: the Moselsteig is a quality hiking trail in Rhineland-Palatinate.
- Rennsteig, 11 days: Quality hiking trail in Thuringia
- Harz-Witches-Trail, 8 days: Quality hiking trail in the Harz mountains
- Schluchtensteig, 8 days: Quality hiking trail in the Black Forest