Itinerary at a glance
Hohenlupfen palace towers over the little village of Stühlingen, the starting point of your walking holiday in the Black Forest.
You follow the course of the river Wutach and reach a very pristine section. Gnarly trees, gigantic ferns and rugged steep cliffs accompany you through the eastern part of the Wutachschlucht-gorge all the way to Blumberg.
Narrow trails meander through the Wutachschlucht-gorge, which you nearly walk all the way through in its entirety. The water is not always visible, in parts the river Wutach disappears in underground passages, only to resurface again gurgling in other spots. Nearly at the end of the gorge you reach the little country inn ‚Schattenmühle’, where you will spend the night.
After the gorge you ascend high up today. You pass the ruins of the so-called ‚Räuberschlössle’ (little robber’s palace) and walk into the gorge ‚Haslachschlucht’. From here a steep path leads you in switchbacks out of the gorge and shortly afterwards you reach Lenzkirch. Enjoy the expanse after the long section in the gorge. Soon the little village of Oberfischbach comes into view.
The route leads over small hills and soon you get to marvel at the glistening Lake Schluchsee. From this point you ascend steadily until you pass the highest point of this walking tour. From this point you walk steadily uphill until you pass the highest spot of this walking tour. From the ‚Krummenkreuz’ you then descend into the gorge ‚Bannwaldschlucht’. You continue along rocky trails, via little bridges and then reach St. Blasien
Today you climb up Mount Lehenkopf and marvel one more time at the St. Blasien cathedreal and finally reach Mount Dachsberg. Now you descend into the forest ‚Hotzenwald’. Alpine meadows, heath fields and stunning farm houses accompany you along the route into the gorge ‚Hochwehraschlucht’, which you walk through before you reach Todtmoos.
Walk through the gorge ‚Wehraschlucht’ – a true nature paradise and a wonderful final tour. After a few kilometres you reach the hut ‚Mettlerhütte’ and can enjoy the view from there onto the nearby peaks of the Swiss Alps. Today’s Day Finish are the castle grounds of Wehr, which is also the end of the gorge-trail.
The gorge-trail leads you along marked walking and forest paths and is easy to walk on. For some descents (i.e. Wutachschlucht-gorge) surefootedness is necessary. A good basic fitness level is required for the - in parts - long stages and for many a desscents and ascents.
Prices & Dates
Category: pretty middle-class hotels, country hotels
Services & Information
Further details about this tour
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Luggage transfer (1 piece of luggage per person)
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English)
- App for Navigation and GPS-data
- Service hotline
- Return transfer from Wehr to Stühlingen (up to 3 people), price per fareEUR 239, Reservation required, payable in advance.
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Arrival by train at Lauchringen and by bus in approx. 30 minutes to Stühlingen.
- Stuttgart, Zurich or Basel airport.
- Parking: public parking spaces in Stühlingen, no reservation possible.
- Return journey by train from Wehr to Lauchringen and by bus to Stühlingen. Duration approx. 2 hours.
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- This tour is a partner tour.
Join us in achieving greater sustainability by choosing our digital route book, rather than the printed version. As a small thank you we will give you a discount of EUR 20 per room.
"I look forward to making your vacation dreams come true."