Salzalpensteig – Hiking Trail 1
On ancient Salt Paths from Lake Chiemsee to Lake Königssee.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival to Lake Chiemsee
Hotel (example): Bayerischer Hof
The tour starts with a comfortable walk along the incredibly picturesque lakeside of Lake Chiemsee, through tranquil nature reserves near the reed belt. You encounter a charming landscape with little forest paths and typical Bavarian farm houses dotted around on your route to Marquartstein.
Hotel (example): Gabriele
Today prepare for an idyllic alpine pasture tour. After the ascent to the green-blue mountain lake Taubensee, there are numerous alps inviting you for a break. The route continues past grazing cattle and with views onto Lake Chiemsee from high above, then through lush meadows and shady forests into the well-known holiday resort Reit im Winkl.
Hotel (example): Nuihausa
A short hike across the alpine pasture and then descend into an enchanting area with crystal clear lakes surrounded by steep mountains. A little later you get a view onto Rauschberg mountain, before you walk past the Biathlon Arena, where you can watch the roller ski training in summer. Onwards through shady pine forests until you reach Ruhpolding, amidst the Chiemgauer Alps.
Hotel (example): Wittelsbach
Ruhpolding – Inzell
Along the river Ache to Lake Taubensee and from there a cable car ascent onto the Rauschberg with magnificent panoramic views. The descent leads via alpine pastures and past steep rockfaces, before you walk on forest and rural trails all the way to the climatic health resort Inzell. The typical Bavarian flair and the views onto the surrounding summits are best enjoyed with a cool ‚Maß’(1 litre) of beer in your hand.
Hotel (example): Sporthotel Inzell
Inzell – Bad Reichenhall
Walk along the path of the brine pipelines and through the fascinating Weissbach ravine. The Salt Path leads you above the cute little mountain lake Thumsee, along forest paths with a view onto Bad Reichenhall. Past the Old Saltworks you reach this beautiful salt health resort, where the Rupertus-Thermal spa invites your muscles to some relaxation time.
Hotel (example): Dora
Short bus ride and then ascent to a glorious and remote forest area. High-altitude paths with incredible panoramic views lead you along the mountainside with the ‚Steinerne Meer’ mountain range and the two summits Watzmann and Hochkönig in front of you. Then a short section along the brine pipeline path, before you ascend through the forest to the Grünstein mountain. Glistening deep down below you is lake Königssee, green in colour, with boat houses and little boats, set amidst the national park Berchtesgaden and is the picturesque finish of your hiking holiday.
Hotel (example): Bergheimat
A week rich in variety with hiking tours along the old salt paths with a duration each of up to 6 hours. On some days surefootedness and a head for hights are required. You walk across picturesque mountain scenery with views onto steep, jaggered peaks, two marvellous lakes, gushing mountain streams and gorges.
Category: 3*** hotels and country hotels
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Cable car ascent Rauschberg
- Ruhpolding-Card with countless services included
- Entry old salt works in Bad Reichenhall
- Carefully elaborated route description
- GPS-data is available
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- Organized return transfer to Prien, cost EUR 70 per person (min. 2 persons, only on Sat). Advance reservation required, payable in advance.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Train journey from Munich to Prien, duration approx. 1 hour. From Prien train station to the start-hotel either on foot or short bus/taxi ride.
- Parking: limited number of hotel parking spaces free of charge, no reservation possible.
- Return train/bus journey from Lake Königssee, duration approx. 2.5 hours (1x change trains).
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Special dates on request
- Public bus fares approx. EUR 7 per person
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!