Valverde – Mocanal
Along an ancient pilgrims’ path and past the little village of Tiñor, the tour leads along with views onto the sea to the replanting of the historic ‚Rain Tree Garoe’, which the legend says, saved the indigenous people from dying of thirst. After that the walk continues through bizarre trass landscape via Betenama to Mocanal.
Mocanal – Frontera
On your way from Mocanal to Guarazoca this walk leads you to the fascinating stone structure of ‚César Manrique’. Swiftly followed by an area resembling the Scottish highlands around San Andrés and then an ever green descent down to the ‚orchard’ of the small village ‚Frontera’. Amongst other fruit, pineapples are grown here and are exported to the other islands.
After a short transfer the deserted south western part of the island. Visit an exposed lookout, the ‚leaning’ juniper trees of Hierro and the treasured shrine of the island, a modest chapel, home of the miraculous statue of Mary ‚Virgen de los Reyes’. You reach full circle and the old shepherds’ path leads you back downhill.
Frontera – El Pinar
A fascinating change in vegetation: Initially caught up in the Baumerika- and Gagelbaum forest, and heading through a pine forest to the highest point of the island, before reentering the fragrant pine forest via pitch black ashfields along the Golf valley ridge. Visibility permitting you can make out La Palma on the distant horizon.
Across young lavafields the trail leads to the most significant diving haven and fishing habour of the island, La Restinga. It was here in 2011 where only five kilometres off shore the latest lava erutptions of the Canaries were documented. From here you can either return to Pinar or proceed to one of the most amazing beach spot of ‚Cala de Tacorón’ and then finally across ancient cultural areas walk back to El Pinar.
El Pinar – Las Playas
This walk offers spectacular views of the ragged cliffs of the East coast and the deep blue Atlantic Ocean. After leaving Taibique, then via Las Casas which will blow you away with its two impressive outposts with great views into the oldest part of the island complete with ancient shepherd’s trail. At the end of your walking holiday you will spend a night in the outstanding Parador-hotel, situated directly at the beach of Las Playas.
For the daily hikes between 3.5 and 6 hours you need a good basic fitness condition. You will walk on marked paths and forest trails through 4 different zones in vegetation on the island of El Hierro. Surefootedness for walking tour on day 7 required. This week offers a perfect combination of nature and typical Canarian way of life.
Category: 5x simple but nice B&B’s or country hotels, 1x nice 2**-country hotel and 1x 3***-Parador hotel
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Transfers according to program
- Transfer from airport or habour
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- Service hotline
- If half board: min. 3-course evening meal
Arrival / Departure:
- Airport Teneriffa or Gran Canaria airport. Short flight (www.binter.es) to El Hierro (just under 1 hour), depending on airport from EUR 36 to 132 per person and flight. Flight from Teneriffa change to airport North ‚Los Rodeos’ (www.titsa.com), public transport bus connection nr. 343). Calculate approx. 1,5 hours transfer time from one airport to the other.
- Alternatively, by boat from Los Cristianos/Teneriffa-South (www.navieraarmas.com), duration approx. 2.5 hours to El Hierro, approx. EUR 50 per person (no boat ride on Saturdays).
- Organized transfer from harbour or airport El Hierro to initial hotel as well as return transfer to airport or harbour at the end of tour is organized and included in price.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!