On the Trail of the Fairytale King.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Hotel (example): Seeblick
The tour leads you through the nature reserve along the banks of Lake Starnberg via the Ilka cave with its stunning view onto Lake Starnberg all the way to the Deixfurter pond. Along pretty Bavarian villages with inviting beergardens you head for Andechs monastery with its own brewery. Then a short bus ride to Herrsching and a cosy boat trip to Dießen.
Hotel (example): Seefelder Hof
From Dießen the path leads you across beautiful meadows and past the castle chapel and after that into the stunningly peaceful Stiller forest. Via hilltops with marvellous views you reach Wessobrunn, home of the well-known ‚grey duke’ (historic belfry) and the natural landmark ‚Tassilolinde’. In the distance you get a glimpse of the Zugspitze summit.
Hotel (example): Gasthof Post
Today you explore the Alpine foothills, very typical for Bavaria with its sleepy little villages and the remote moor areas. Prepare for a steep ascent onto the Hohen Peissenberg mountain, a magnificent spot with weather station and breathtaking panoramic views over the Alps from the Großvenediger all the way into the Allgäu region. Onwards now downhill to Hohenpeissenberg and your tour continues through forests and across fields all the way to Peiting.
Hotel (example): Pfaffenwinkel
From Peiting onwards to the untamed and romantic Ammer ravine. Several little bridges and footbridges take you through a ravine above the river Ammer all the way to Rottenbuch. There an especially ornate monastery church awaits you. Then across hills and meadows with glorious views onto the Alpine mountain range, you arrive at Wildsteig.
Hotel (example): Zum Strauß
From Wildsteig through idyllic moor regions onwards to the world famous UNESCO world heritage ‚Kirche in der Wies’ (church in the meadow). Via soft hilltops, through forests and meadows covered in colourful flowers and distant views onto the Allgäu Alps and the King-Ludwig-country on Lake Forggensee to your Day 6 finish Buching.
Hotel (example): Alpchalet Schwanstein
Across nature reserves along and past Lake Hegratsried and then either continue on the path along Lake Forggensee to Füssen or uphill to the most stunning castles Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau on Lake Schwansee. Then along the Kalvarienberg into the historic market town of Füssen.
Hotel (example): Hirsch
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
You walk on walking paths or forest trails as well as on asphalted paths. For tours through the Alpine foothills with a walking time of 4 to max. 6 hours, stamina and a good basic fitness level is required.
Category: lovely 3***-hotels and country hotels
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Boat fare from Herrsching to Dießen
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Organised transfer from Füssen to Bernried available, cost EUR 80 per fare (up to 4 persons, EUR 120 up to 8 persons). Booking in advance required, payable on-site.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Arrival in Munich and then a 45 mins train journey to Bernried on Lake Starnberg.
- Parking: hotel parking spaces free of charge, no reservation required.
- Return train journey from Füssen to Bernried, duration approx. 3 hours (2x change trains).
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Bus fare from Andechs to Herrsching, approx. EUR 3 per person
- Special dates on request
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!