Medieval Alsace 2
Saverne - Barr: Middle Vosges.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Saverne
In Saverne you can enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and French charm of a trading post with typical Alsatian architecture.
From Saverne, the pretty small capital of the Northern Vosges you walk to fortress Haut-Barr and follow the ridge from fortress to fortress until you reach Wangenbourg. Unsurpassed views of the Rhine basin, Strasbourg and – when the weather is clear – to the Black Forest.
Today you climb Schneeberg on 961m and cross the „Cascade du Niedeck“ down into the valley of Oberhaslach.
Follow GR5 long distance hiking trail to Urmatt, where you cross the valley of Bruch and continue walking to Grendelbruch. Over the Purpurkopf (570 m) and the Heidenkopf (787 m) you reach Klingenthal and Ottrott.
Visit the famous Abbey Sainte Odile protected since the 12 century by many fortresses. Some of the you pass today, as e.g Kagenfels and Birkenfels. Continue on the long distance hiking trail past Kienberg (775m) to Hohwald (situated 560 meters high).
From Le Hohwald to Barr
Today you walk downhill towards the grapevines. You reach the castles of Speesbourg and Andalau via a forest path. Then past the lovely wine village Andlaum and towards Mittelbergheim, nestling amidst vineyards and considered one of the most beautiful villages in France. Soon after you reach your final Day Finish of this walking holiday, the charming town Barr and wine capital of the Lower Alsace.
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
Daily walking times of up to 5.5 hours and a distance of approx. 14 – 22 km. Daily tours require a good basic fitness level. The route leads you along well-maintained walking paths with stunning views.
Category: pretty 2**- and 3***-hotels and country hotels (French classifying)
- 6 overnight stays, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English, French)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- If half board: min. 3-course evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- By train to Saverne and a few walking minutes to the hotel.
- Parking: free, unguarded car park near the hotel. No reservation possible.
- Return by train from Barr via Strasbourg to Saverne, approx. 2 hours.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Extra nights in Straßburg upon request
- Special dates on request
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!