Itinerary at a glance
Transfer from Sibiu to Sibiel. Idyllically situated at the foot of Cindrel, Sibiel is one of the most beautiful villages in Romania. Horse-drawn carts loaded with hay and cows coming from the pasture dominate the village scene. Worth seeing are especially the Orthodox church, the painted wayside crosses and the village museum with its old glass icons (reverse glass painting).
First, hike to a hermitage, then continue up to a traditional high mountain pasture where delicious smoked shepherd's cheese is still made today. Enjoy the magnificent view before you hike back to Sibiel. On your way back, it is worth making a detour to the ancient shepherd village of Fantanele.
In the morning transfer up to the ‚Hohe Rinne’, in Romanian ‚Paltinis’, the former spa resort of the Transylvanian Carpathian society. After a short ascent via the ‚Wolfswiese’-meadow you reach ‚La Icoana’. Then onwards via meadows and high-altitude pastures, past the peaks of Tomnaticu, Grihan and Plaiul, you descend to the quaint shepherds village Rasinari. En route you enjoy stunning views over the Cindrel and the Fogarascher Mountains.
Transfer to the Astra-openair-museum folllowed by a hiking tour to Hermannstadt. The three large squares lined by buildings dating back to the Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque Era are very impressive. There is also a lot to discover in the lower town with its winding alleyways and stairs and the farmers market at the ‚Zibin’.
Transfer through the wild-romantic valley ‚Harbachtal’ into the former wine-growing village Reichesdorf. The route leads you via Hetzelsdorf to the old bishop’s see Biertan. The impressive church-castle (UNESCO World Heritage Site) is - next to numerous imposing details - home to a late Gothic pictorial shrine. From the vineyards you enjoy a fabulous view onto the church-castle.
Hike to Malmkrog, where magnificent farms await you. The village used to be owned by the Hungarian noble Apafi family living in nearby Malmkrog and was located outside the king's land. Overnight stay in beautiful old guesthouses, the former farmhouses.
Short transfer to Bethlen Castle in Kreisch, the most beautiful monument of Transylvanian Renaissance architecture. The tour continues via Peschendorf to Sighisoara. The medieval city castle with the Stundturm, Dracula's birthplace and the mountain church, the pearl of Transylvania, is part of the UNESCO cultural heritage.
Easy to moderate hikes from 1.5 to 6.5 hours. You hike across meadows and high pastures, past cows and through beautiful gorges. Manageable without much effort if you have a basic level of fitness.
Prices and dates
Category: good 3*** and 4**** hotels, 1x restored farmhouse or rectory
Services & Information
Further details about this tour
- Accomodation as already mentioned
- 4 dinner (2x Sibiel, Rasinari and Malmkrog)
- Luggage transfer
- Transfers according to the program
- Arrival transfer from Sibiu airport/train station Sibiu to Sibiel
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English)
- App for navigation and GPS-data
- Service hotline
- Return transfer to Sibiu/Sibiel (max. 3 persons), cost per trip EUR 119, reservation required, payable in advance.
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Sibiu airport. (Hermannstadt) or train journey via Vienna, Budapest and Medias to Sibiu
- Organized transfer to the starting hotel, included in the price.
- Parking: Hotel parking in Sibiel, about EUR 20 per week, no pre-reservation.
- Return journey by train or bus to Sibiu, or by train from Sighisoara to Vienna.
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- This tour is a partner tour.
"I look forward to making your vacation dreams come true."