Transylvania & Carpathian Mountains
Hiking like 100 years ago.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum of participants: 2 persons
Transfer from Sibiu to Sibiel, idyllic located at the foot of the Cindrel, Sibiel is one of the most beautiful villages in Romania. Traps, stowed with hay and cows, which come from the meadow, are coining the picture of the village. Worth seeing is the Orthodox Church and the museum with old glass icons (glass painting).
Sibiel – Orlat
Initially you walk into the quaint shepherds village Cacova. Worth noticing are the old, painted wayside crosses. Onwards via a side ridge of the Cindrel mountains and then you proceed downhill into the Zibinstal-valley with marvellous views. You spend the night in the ancient luberjack village Orlat.
Orlat – Rasinari
In the morning transfer up to the ‚Hohe Rinne’, in Romanian ‚Paltinis’, the former spa resort of the Transivlanian Carpathian society. After a short ascent via the ‚Wolfswiese’-meadow you reach ‚La Icoana’. Then onwards via meadows and high-altitude pastures, past the peaks of Tomnaticu, Grihan and Plaiul, you descend to the quaint shepherds village Rasinari. En route you enjoy stunning views over the Cindrel and the Fogarascher Mountains.
Transfer to the Astra-openair-museum folllowed by a hiking tour to Hermannstadt. The three large squares lined by buildings dating back to the Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque Era are very impressive. There is also a lot to discover in the lower town with its winding alleyways and stairs and the farmers market at the ‚Zibin’.
Transfer through the wild-romantic valley ‚Harbachtal’ into the former wine-growing village Reichesdorf. The route leads you via Hetzelsdorf to the old bishop’s see Biertan. The impressive church-castle (UNESCO World Heritage Site) is - next to numerous imposing details - home to a late Gothic pictorial shrine. From the vineyards you enjoy a fabulous view onto the church-castle.
Biertan – Malmkrog
Walking tour to Malmkrog, where magnificent farm houses await. Formerly the village was owned by the nearby residing Hungarian aristocratic family Apafi and was located outside the ‚Königsboden’. You spend the night in lovely old guest houses, which used to be farm houses.
Malmkrog – Schäßburg
Short transfer to ‚Bethlenschlos’ in Kreisch, the most beautiful monument of Transilvanian Renaissance architecture. Then onwards via Peschendorf to Schäßburg/Sighisoara. The medieval city castle with its tower ‚Stundturm’, Drakula’s birth place and the mountain church – the ‚pearl of Transilvania’- is part of the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage.
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
Easy to medium level with walking tours of 1,5 to 6,5 hours. You walk over meadows and alpine meadows, past cows and through wonderful canyons. Those tours can be managed with good stamina without noteworthy experience.
Category: good 3***- and 4**** - hotels, 1 x restored farmhouse or parsonage
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- 4x evening meal (Sibiel, Orlat, Rasinari and Malmkrog)
- Luggage transfer
- Transfers according to the program
- Transfer from the airport/train station Sibiu to Sibiel
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- Service hotline
- Organized return transfer to Sibiu/Sibiel, EUR 75 per way (max. 3 people), reservation required, payable in advance.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Airport Sibiu (Hermannstadt) or arrival by train via Vienna, Budapest and Medias to Sibiu. Organized transfer to your arrival hotel is included in the tour price.
- Parking: hotel parking space in Sibiel, approx. EUR 20 per week, no reservation.
- Return journey by train or by bus to Sibiu, or by train from Schäßburg to Vienna.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!