Walking highlights amid the ‘wild beauty’.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum of participants: 2 persons
Arrival in Zabljak
Whilst on a lovely circular walk to Crvena greda located at an altitude of 2,175 m you can explore ‘the roof of Montenegro’, the Durmitor mountains with its imposing peaks amid the national park. Bubotov Kuk located at 2,523 m above sea level is Montenegro's tallest mountain. Whilst doing the circular walk to Jablan mountain lake, you can admire the mountain from many different angles.
Zabljak – Kolasin
In the morning there is a transfer through the Tara gorge in the Biogradska Gora national park, Europe’s deepest gorge. The picturesque mountain lake in the heart of the national park is surrounded by a jungle. At the start you go through the jungle to Alm Goles where you are rewarded for the steep ascent with a nice place to stop for a rest and some food. Refueled you walk along a ridge above a lake where you get great panoramic views from. You walk along there until you get to another mountain pasture. You then descend to Bjelasica’s ski centre and then you have a short transfer to Kolasin where you will stay overnight.
Kolasin – Cetinje
Today you leave the North of Montenegro and walk through the 650m deep Mrtvica gorge with its spectacular vertical rock faces and emerald green water. A path section was quarried out of the rock and takes you along the vertical rock face. Shortly afterwards you reach a small shaded beach where you can have a pleasant rest before you walk back along the same path. You will be collected and transferred to Cetinje, the former residence town from the 19th Century. It is a small and leisurely town that dates back to the era when Montenegro was still a kingdom.
Today’s stage is a relaxed circular tour in Skadarsee national park. After breakfast you have a short transfer from Cetinje into the national park where there is a short but charming tour especially if you love nature. You go from the small village Rijeka Crnojevica along the river to an impressive limestone cave. Take time to fully enjoy this untouched nature! The path back runs along the other side of the river, through the oldest part of the village and takes you via the historical stone bridge back to where you started the tour from. Make sure you do not miss out trying the local fish specialities. If you fancy it, you could go on a boat ride (approx. 2 hours). You will be collected and transferred to national park Lovćen where you will be staying overnight.
Today’s walk takes you along easy paths that were first made during the former empire up to a viewpoint peak. From there you get a wonderful view of the surrounding mountains, Lake Skadar and the southern coastal mountains. You then continue along military paths to a view point from where you will get your first view over Kotor bay. At about midday you will be picked up and transferred to Kotor. Use the free afternoon to explore Kotor’s charming old town.
Today’s walk takes you along old paths again, which were built in times of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. You get a lovely view from above Kotor bay, which is often referred to as the most southern fjord. You continue by walking over the back of Vrmac mountain. The mountainous peninsula separates Kotor’s bay from the outer bay around Tivat. You walk in a zigzag pattern up an old military path to the old fort from the times of the empire. From there you walk along a ridge path to Sveti ilija located 765 m above sea level. It is the highest point on the ridge. Following that you ascend on the ancient shepherd tracks, past traditional villages until you arrive at the sea. If you want to you can take a boat to Perast and stop at the church island where the Church of our Lady of the Rocks is located. Return journey to your accommodation either from the end of the walk or from Perast.
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
You will need a good level of fitness for the daily walks lasting between 3 and 6 hours each. You will walk on good quality footpaths and forest tracks as well as on lovely ridge paths. You need to have surefootedness and a head for heights on the second day for the walk in the Durmitor mountains and on the fourth day when cross the Mrtvica gorge. This week’s walking offers a perfect combination of untouched nature and cultural highlights.
| Season 1 |
20.05.2020 - 19.06.2020
11.09.2020 - 31.10.2020
| Season 2 |
20.06.2020 - 10.09.2020
|Montenegro 8 days, ME-MEWZK-08X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single room||179.00||179.00|
Category: cozy and familiar 3***- and 4****-hotels
Extra nights upon request in every stage finish
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome meeting (German, English)
- Transfers according to program
- Local cell phone for information and emergencies
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- City tax, if due, included in the package price
- GPS-tacks available
- Organized airport transfer from Podgorica or Tivat to Zabljak, EUR 90 per way and from Dubrovnik EUR 120 per way (up to 3 people), reservation required, payable in advance.
- Organized return transfer from Kotor to Podgorica EUR 60 per way, to Dubrovnik EUR 80 per way and to Tivat EUR 20 per way (up to 3 people), reservation required, payable in advance.
- Boat trip on Lake Skadar (approx. 1 hour) on day 5, approx. EUR 35 per trip, bookable and payable on site.
- Boat trip in the bay from Kotor to Perast with stop on the church island "Maria zum Felsen", approx.
EUR 50 per trip, bookable and payable on site.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Airport Podgorica or Tivat.
- By train to Podgorica via Belgrad and further by bus to Zabljak.
- Parking: limited number of free hotel parking places. No reservation possible.
- Return journey by bus (www.zcg-prevoz.me) to Podgorica in approx. 2 hours or by bus to Zabljak in approx. 3 hours.
Things to note:
- Entrance fees in the national parks not included, approx. EUR 2 to EUR 4 per person and day
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!