Sicily & Aeolian islands
Volcano walking tour: Etna & Stromboli.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Individual journey to Milazzo
Milazzo - Lipari
In the morning by hydrofoil to island Lipari (duration about 1 hour). Enjoy the beautiful view onto the island before you leave the boat. Nested houses are located on the mighty cliff, which is topped from the massive fortress and the cathedral. After a round tour through the lively city you walk along the idyllic western side of the island with its steep cliffs.
Excursion to Vulcano
Rest day. Enjoy the beautiful beach of Lipari or go by hydrofoil to island Vulcano. You can visit the crater there. The climb up to the peak is strenuous, but you will be rewarded with a wonderful view onto six further Aeolian Islands.
Lipari - Stromboli
In the morning cruise to island Stromboli (duration about 1 hour). Take your time to visit the beautiful village San Vincenzo, to go by boat around the island or to explore the bewitching village Ginostra, one of the most beautiful parts of the whole archipelago. In the afternoon you climb up the active volcano Stromboli accompanied by a guide, where up there a breathtaking spectacle of fire-spouts and eruptions awaits.
Loop tour Stromboli
Relax at the beautiful black beaches of Stromboli. We recommend doing a walking tour to “Sciara del Fuoco” in the late afternoon. Be surprised from volcano Stromboli and enjoy the beautiful panorama view. Or you go by hydrofoil to the nearby, lively island Panara where you can walk to the picturesque beach of Cala Junco.
Stromboli – Taormina
In the morning by hydrofoil from Stromboli to Milazzo (duration about 2 hours). Transfer from the harbour of Milazzo into bewitching Taormina in the northeast of Sicily, which is located on a cliff high above the Ionian Sea. Lemon- and orange trees are growing, the whole village is looking onto the water and afar volcano Etna is impressing backdrop. During your exploration of Taormina you should visit the well-known amphitheatre.
Already the journey through the various vegetation forms of the Ätna-area is an absolute highlight! At an altitude of more than 2000 metres an experienced guide waits for you, he will lead you along lava flows and past impressive crater peaks through this unique lunarscape and enlighten you with interesting facts on flora and fauna. Again and again you will enjoy unbelievable views onto the Ionic coast.
Individual departure or extra days
The daily tours lead through slightly hilly terrain. The walks up onto the volcanoes are steeper in parts, surefootedness is required. Daily walking times vary between 3 and 6 hours. A good shape is necessary. The excursion onto volcano Stromboli is the most challenging.
Category: hotels of 3***-level and nice B&B´s
All stages on request
- 7 overnight stays as mentioned, breakfast included
- Transfer airport Catania – Milazzo
- Transfers as mentioned in the program
- Guided tour onto volcano Stromboli (english guide)
- Guided tour onto volcano Etna (english guide)
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents
- Airport Catania. Organized transfer airport – Milazzo. The transfer is included in the price.
- Departure from Taormina by public transport (train/bus) in about 90 minutes to the airport of Catania or organized transfer, EUR 140 per fare (min. 2 people), reservation necessary, payable in advance.
- Excursion onto volcano Stromboli: The walk is only allowed with certificated guide and only if the volcano is not closed. We reserve the right to cancel the tour due to safety-related reasons (weather & current volcano observation).
- Any visitor’s taxes are not included in the tour price and payable on site
- Number of participants: minimum 2 persons
- Luggage transfer (single-handedly on ferry fares)
- Journeys by hydrofoil, about EUR 70 per person, payable on spot