Dolomite high-altitude paths
Panoramic hiking tours in the World Heritage-nature site.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided Tour
- Minimum number of participants: 2 persons
Arrival in Niederdorf/Toblach
By Bus to the lake Pragser Wildsee. Starting from the so-called ‚Pearl of lakes in the Dolomites‘ you proceed through the romantic region of the Fanes–Sennes–Prags nature park, which is one of the largest protected regions in South Tyrol. You reach the high-altitude alp ‚Hochalm Fojedöra‘ in the shade of the impressive Seekofel-massif, ready for a rest and a break. You continue through the remote high-altitude valley past the lake Hochalpensee all the way to St. Vigil.
St. Vigil – Abtei
From St. Virgil by cable car Piz de Plaies you reach the start of the hiking tour. The route leads you through a beautiful wooded and grassy area to the Piz de Corn, the Peitlerkofel is towering on the opposite side. Onwards to the ridge Ritjoch and you walk through the mountaineers village of Wengen. The mighty flanks of the Heiligkreuzkofel remain constantly in your view. At the refuge Heiligkreuz you descend again and then take a leisurely train ride to Abtei.
Abtei – St. Kassian
The cable car takes you back up to the pretty alpine huts above Abtei. The view invites you to linger: the peaks of Sella, Puezgruppe, Peitlerkofel and Kreuzkofel seem close enough to touch. Through thinning larch and stone pine forests you hike towards St. Kassian. On the way you will repeatedly cross so-called "viles", as the original settlements of the Val Badia are called.
Today the trail runs leisurely at the beginning along the valley floor to Capanna Alpina. In the shadow of the majestic Fanes and Conturines peaks, follow the path to the Scottoni refuge. Through a rocky gorge, directly to the pearl of Alta Badia, Lake Lagazuoi. In the crystal clear water of the small mountain lake, the bizarre peaks of the Fanes Dolomites are reflected. Your hike continues along the Dolomites High Trail to the Lagazuoi Pass, which was literally turned into a fortress with tunnels and protective trenches by soldiers during the First World War. You can now decide whether to take the cable car directly from the summit to the Falzarego Pass and take the bus to Cortina, or you can continue hiking below the Tofanen to Pocol.
The trail leads through woodland and meadows, initially in a relatively leisurely manner, to the Rifugio Mietres, from where you can take a last look at Cortina. Afterwards, the trail becomes steeper and steeper and leads to the Forcella Zumèles. A fantastic panorama at the highest point will soon make you forget the efforts of the ascent. Then only downhill through the idyllic Val Padeon to the end point of the stage in Ospitale. Return to Alta Pusteria by bus.
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
The route leads you along well-marked mountain- and hiking paths. You sometimes proceed along via ferratas, which are however easy to walk on, only surefootedness and a head for heights are prerequisites. We also recommend a good basic fitness level. Some of the routes can be shortened as an option.
| Season 1 |
25.06.2023 - 23.07.2023
| Season 2 |
20.08.2023 - 17.09.2023
|Dolomites high-altitude paths, 7 days, IT-SJWNA-07X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single room||199.00||199.00|
Category: beautiful 3***- and partly 4**** hotels
| Season 1 |
Jun 25, 2023 - Jul 23, 2023
| Season 2 |
Aug 20, 2023 - Sep 17, 2023
|Double room p. P.||79.00||89.00|
|Surcharge single room||25.00||25.00|
- Accommodation as stated
- Welcome briefing (English, German)
- Luggage transfer
- Bus- and cable car rides according to program
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-data available
- Service hotline
- Airport transfer bookable on request
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Arrival by train at Niederdorf/Toblach via Innsbruck.
- Venice or Treviso airport. From there by train to Niederdorf/Toblach.
- Parking in Niederdorf/Toblach: public unguarded car park free of charge.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if applicable, is not included in the tour price
- Optional cable car rides on the 4th day from Piz Sorega to St. Kassian, approx. EUR 10 per person and on the 5th day from the summit of Lagazuoi to Falzarego Pass, approx. EUR 17 per person.
- Bus ride Falzarego Pass/Pocol - Cortina d'Ampezzo, approx. EUR 2 per person
- Bus ride Ospitale - Villabassa/Toblach, approx. EUR 3 per person
- Special dates for groups of min. 5 persons on request!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!