Ireland's Western Way
Connemara, Aran Islands & Cliffs of Moher.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided Tour
Arrival in Doolin
More than 120 metres the Cliffs of Moher proturde from the Atlantic. This impressive cliff scenery is the backdrop for your first day of hiking. In the morning a short transfer to Liscannor from where you follow the Cliffs of Moher-Trail, which leads you directly along the cliffs back to Doolin.
Doolin – Aran Islands
In the morning transfer to the ferry pier and crossing to Inis Mor, the largest of the Aran Islands. Stone walls were piled up here as far as the eye can see in order to be able to work the barren ground. The route leads you past a seal colony to the world-famous ruins of Dún Aenghus (UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site). When you arrive, the masses of tourists will already have moved on and you can explore this spectacualr site in peace and quiet. After that hike back to Cill Rónáin.
In the morning you return by ferry to Ross a’ Mhil on the mainland. Here you get picked up and taken to Lough Boffin, your starting point for your walk today. The route takes you then along the lake ‚Lough Corrib’. At the end of the lake you walk through an amazing moor landscape. Short transfer to your accommodation.
Transfer back to the valley of Tiernakill. One of the highlights of the Great Western Way are the ‚Maumturk Mountains’. The scenery appears nearly alpine, however a glance onto the endless green hills and countless sheep reveals why Connemara is considered one of the most beautiful corners of Ireland. Once you have arrived at the Maum Ean-pass, a mystic site awaits. A little chapel, Celtic crosses and a statue of St Patrick turn this into a sacred place. The day ends with a descent to the lake ‚Lough Inagh’.
Lough Inagh – Leenane
Trees are a rare commodity in Ireland, however today’s route soon leads you through several forests. This stage is very varied. You leave the hills of the Maumturk Mountains and the 12 Bens behind you and soon the terrain becomes more level. Your Day Finish is the little coastal village of Leenane, situated in a picturesque location at the end of the Killary fjord.
Transfer to the fishing harbour Rosroe. This is the start of the ‚Famine Trail’, established during the time of famine in Ireland, in order to facilitate transporting groceries faster inland. Today this narrow trail winds along the coast of the Killary fjord offering spectacular views.
Departure or extension
For the hike along the Cliffs of Moher-Trail a head for heights is prerequisite. For all other daily tours up to 19 km a good basic fitness level is required. Some surefootedness is an advantage during the descent from Maum Ean-pass.
| Season 1 |
30.04.2022 - 20.05.2022
24.09.2022 - 16.10.2022
| Season 2 |
21.05.2022 - 23.09.2022
|Ireland‘s Western Way, 8 days, IR-COWDL-08X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single room||269.00||269.00|
Category: beautiful typical B&B`s, Lodge in Lough Inagh
You can book extra nights for any day of your tour. Prices upon request!
| Season 1 |
Apr 30, 2022 - May 20, 2022
Sep 24, 2022 - Oct 16, 2022
| Season 2 |
May 21, 2022 - Sep 23, 2022
|Double room p. P.||55.00||55.00|
|Surcharge single room||25.00||25.00|
|Double room p. P.||59.00||59.00|
|Surcharge single room||30.00||30.00|
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Luggage transfer
- Transfers and ferry crossings according to program
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-data available
- Service hotline
- Transfer from Leenane to Westport, cost per way EUR 55, reservation required, payable on spot.
Arrival / Departure:
- Airport Dublin or Shannon.
- Airport Dublin. Via Citylink-bus (www.citylink.ie) to Galway, approx. 2.5 hours. Or from Dublin Heuston via train (www.irishrail.ie) to Galway, approx. 2 hours. From Galway via bus (www.buseireann.ie) to Doolin, duration approx. 2 hours.
- Airport Shannon via bus and train to Doolin, approx. 2.5 hours.
- Organized transfer from Leenane to Westport available. Westport via train to Dublin Heuston, approx. 3.5 hours.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Luggage transfer Aran Islands (with ferry crossings luggage needs to be taken autonomously)
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!