Painter walking tour
On foot through the Elbe Sandstone Mountains
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided Tour
Arrival in Bad Schandau
We recommend you seize the afternoon and enjoy a little stroll through this tranquil spa resort.
After your first ascent on today’s tour you get to enjoy the breathtaking panoramic view. Onwards via the ‚Brandstufen’ to the ‚balcony’ of Saxon Switzerland, the so-called ‚Brand’. Past Hohnstein castle and Lake Amselsee you reach the spa resort Rathen.
Today you start with the ascent onto Mount ‚Basteifelsen’ with its well-known bridge ‚Basteibrücke’. You continue via the ‚Höllengrund’ and the ‚Wehlener Grund’ to the town of Wehlen. You walk via the table mountain Rauenstein over to Königstein castle, the largest fortifications in Europe.
Along comfortable forest paths you approach the famous rock spire ‚Barbarine’. We recommend a short break and refreshment in the ‚Pfaffenstein Baude’. Enjoy a beautiful view onto the well-known Mount Lilienstein. Via the path ‚Muselweg’ you soon reach the pretty spa resort Gohrisch, situated in a quiet, arboreous area.
The region around Gohrisch is called the ‚Realm of Rocks’. After a gentle start across the plateau you then head up towards Mount Gohrisch and afterwards ascend Mount Papststein. You walk past the caves ‚Kleinhennersdorfer Höhlen’ and reach the Liethener-valley with its old mill shortly before Krippen.
Krippen – Bad Schandau
Today the route takes you to a rock formation called ‚Schrammsteine’. Here you have to overcome in parts steep ascents and metal strairs. You walk on forest paths along the ‚Affensteig’-trail and afterwards follow the ‚Malerweg’-path all the way to the ‚Beuthenfall’. Return journey to Bad Schandau by the long-standing railway ‚Kirnitzschtalbahn’.
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
Easy to moderate walking tours past sandstone formations and through gorges. A good basic fitness level and - in parts - surefootedness is required.
| Season 1 |
01.04.2023 - 11.05.2023
03.09.2023 - 31.10.2023
| Season 2 |
12.05.2023 - 02.09.2023
|Painter walking tour, 7 days, cat. A, DE-EBWBA-07A|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single room||349.00||349.00|
|Painter walking tour, 7 days, cat. B, DE-EBWBA-07B|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single room||229.00||229.00|
Category A: very beautiful 3***- and 4***hotels, 3x 5*****-hotel (Bad Schandau)
Category B: beautiful 3***-hotels and guesthouses
- Accommodations as already mentioned
- 6x half board (category A)
- Luggage transfer
- Admission Toskana Therme Bad Schandau (category A)
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Arrival by train via Dresden to Bad Schandau. From the train station by ferry to the Elb-pier, only a few minutes walk to the hotel from there.
- Dresden Airport.
- Parking: Public car park on the Elb-pier, approx. EUR 8 per day.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Return journey on Day 6 from the Lichtenhainer Waterfall to Bad Schandau by the ‚Kirnitzschtalbahn’-railway in approx. 30 mins, cost approx. EUR 6 per person.
- If you arrive in category A, you will stay overnight in Bad Schandau on the 5th and 6th day (in some cases also in category B, depending on availability). Transfers are free of charge with included guest card.
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!