World Heritage Trail Wachau Charm
Wine and Culture along the Blue Danube.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Walk up into the vineyards to the tower with view on blue Danube, the city Krems and impressing monastery Göttweig. Cross the hills to the cozy Fesslhütte and reach the Dürnstein ruins on a trail with great views before reaching the banks of the Danube.
Take the ferry from Dürnstein to Rossatz. Continue past the largest apricot growing area of Austria, on old tracks up to Seekopf with stunning views to the Alps. Optional take a walk along Danube through orchards to the ferry.
Leave Weißenkirchen via the wine trail, past picturesque wine cellars to the climb up to Seiber. Walk through the forest at first quite steep to Buschandlwand where an observation platform allows stunning panorama views. An alternative route passes through vineyards to the famous wine grower community Spitz an der Donau.
The beautiful wine-growing village Spitz on the Danube offers many possibilities for your rest day: museums, beautiful hiking trails or a boat trip on the Danube. Take time to taste a glass of Wachau wine in one of the wine taverns.
Cross the Danube by ferry to Maria Langegg. Here you follow St. Jacob’s trail to ruin Aggsbach. Visit the fortress with scenic views across the Danube valley and stop for a snack. Down you walk to Aggsbach where you catch the coach to Melk.
Visit the impressive monastery with beautiful grounds before you board the Danube boat. During the cruise to Krems you pass the highlights of the week, see all the vineyards as well as Spitz and Durnstein.
You walk mainly on good trails and some paved vineyard paths. Depending on the route, you can make the stages more comfortable or more challenging. The peaks in the Wachau region are not high, but steep in places. Surefootedness therefore is required in some places. This week offers a perfect blend of nature, culture and culinary delight.
You spend the night in specially selected hotels with special "extras" and can enjoy all the facilities of the charming accommodations (see "Partner hotel").
Bonus: 4-course gourmet menu accompanied by carefully chosen wines from the own vineyard estate in the hotel ‚Gartenhotel Pfeffel’.
Extra nights upon request!
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Wine tasting (German, English)
- Boat cruise Melk – Krems*
* Boat cruise is only possible starting from mid-April, bus ride as an alternative.
- 4-course gourmet menu accompanied by carefully chosen wines from the own vineyard estate in the hotel ‚Gartenhotel Pfeffel’.
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English, French)
- GPS-data is available
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- By train from Vienna to Krems and a few minutes walk to the starting hotel.
- Parking: limited free parking at the hotel, no reservation possible. Public parking garage available for approx. EUR 20 per week, no reservation required.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- In category Hike & Charm you stay one night in Weißenkirchen and two nights in Spitz
- 2x ferry crossings Danube, bus fare from Aggsdorf to Melk (only 8-day tour), approx. EUR 6 per person
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
Steigenberger Hotel & Spa
Just like in paradise: The Hotel ‚Steigenberger’ spoils its guests with quiet and comfort in a totally relaxing atmosphere.
The family run hotel ‚Gartenhotel Pfeffel’ is located between vineyards and has a wonderful view of the Danube.
Renaissancehotel Raffelsberger Hof
The former ‚Schiffsmeisterhaus’ dating back to 1574 was lovingly renovated and equipped with numerous antiques and original handicraft
Hotel zur Post
In the heart of Melk a long-standing family business awaits reflecting the love for the region in local delicacies of an award-winning cuisine, the interior and the hospitality.