Salzburg’s Peaks & Kitzbühel Alps
High Altitude Routes in Pinzgau & Pillerseetal.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
You start with a marvellous tour over the Kammereggalm to the Schwalbenwand, the famous double top of the Pinzgau meadow mountains. An impressive hiking tour with unforgetable views of differently shaped peaks are to be expected. A path through the forest ‘Hofer Plattl’ leads you to Hinterreit for a break and snack and then past the chapel of peace to Maria Alm, an idyllic pilgrimage destination and farming village.
Hotel example: Niederreiter
Through meadows you will follow the trails of pilgrims before the path takes you across a wonderful moorland on your way to the rugged mountain tops of the ‘Steinerne Meer’ (stoney sea). On several high altitude routes with beautiful views up to the Steinalm, a sunny upland pasture with a cabin where you can stop by. The descent follows a steep path which leads you to a striking hermitage. Via the knight's castle Lichtenberg you walk into the the historic town of Saalfelden.
Hotel example: Hindenburg
From the ravine ‘Vorderkaser’ in Weißbach, you will follow gurgeling streams on a diverse path to the heavenly situated hill pasture ‘Hochkaser’. This isolated pass traverse will lead you from the steep tops of the Leogang and Lofer mountains to the Tyrolian side. Via the Niederkaseralm and through the valley Griesel, the path goes along a wild and romantic riverbed into the wonderful valley of Pillersee with the backdrop of the Lofer mountains.
Hotel example: Fontana
Via lush meadows and with a view of the Kitzbühel Alps, you walk into a deep valley from where a comfortable path under the dangling cable cars of the Magnesitenbergwerk (a mine) leads you up to the Burgeralm. After a rustic stop and after being well inivgorated by the best dessert called 'Buchteln', you walk downhill on a wonderful forest path and on a high-up route to the famous holiday resort Saalbach-Hinterglem. Or would you like to climb one of the numerous appealing mountain tops?
Hotel example: Reiterkogel
Enjoy a day off in the sport region, benefit from one of the services of your Joker-Card or take a comfortable circular walk at the end of the valley. The trail leads you past the Forsthof alp to the Saal alp and on to the Lindling alp, where a suspension bridge leads to the Baumzipfelweg. Enjoy a glass of buttermilk in an alpine hut and enjoy the panoramic view of the Glemmtal valley.
Hotel example: Reiterkogel
On your final day one of the most beautiful high altitude routes of the Alpes can be expected! From Saalbach you take the cable car to the Schattenberg, where you start your tour on the ‘Pinzgauer Spaziergang’ (Pinzgau stroll). At an altitude of approx. 2000m with marvellous views of the surrounding mountain tops, you continue your way towards Schmittenhöhe. Here you can once again enjoy the fascinating 360 degree views of more than 30 mountains with an altitute of more than 3000m. Take the cable car down into Zell am See and the bus back to Maishofen.
Hotel example: Schloss Kammer
Beautiful high routes on well maintained paths and forest roads. Tour requires good basic fitness level for walking days of up to 6 hours as well as surefootedness on just a few sections. In some cases comfortable alternative routes are possible. We suggest this tour to everyone who likes the alpine pasture scenery and beautiful views.
Category: hotels of 4****- and 3***-level and country hotels
- 7 overnight stays in selected category, breakfast included
- 1x evening meal (Fieberbrunn)
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Cable car fare Schattberg*
- Cable car fare Schmittenhöhebahn*
- Saalbach-Hinterglemm ‚Sommerjoker-Card’ (cable car rides, guided tours, outdoor pool and much more)
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-data is available
* Schattbergbahn only from mid-June to the end of September, alternative hiking offer for the 7th day
- If half-board: min. 3-course evening meal (7x, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- By train to Zell am See, from there a short bus or taxi ride. Cost approx. EUR 15 per taxi to Maishofen.
- Parking: free hotel car park available, no reservation required.
Things to notes:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Special dates on request
- Bus rides (Saalfelden – Weißbach, Pillersee – Fieberbrunn, Zell am See – Maishofen), approx. EUR 12 per person
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!