Alentejo – Rota Vicentina
Wild Atlantic Coast & Rural Splendour.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
The little coastal town is well-known for its fabulous beaches and the historic town centre.
At the start of your walking holiday you enjoy stunning views over Vila Nova de Milfontes and the river Mira, which flows into the sea in this area. Today’s tour is perfect for getting started and allows you to enjoy the marvellous scenery to the fullest.
Little fishing villages, reddish sand dunes, fragrant pine forests and over 20 bird species nesting in the furrowed cliffs turn this walking tour into an experience for all the senses.
You proceed on a fisher’s trail along the beaches of Alteirinhos, Carvalhal, Machados and Amália. En route to Azenha do Mar you come across a natural fishing harbour. From the Ponta em Branco (‚white summit’) you enjoy an impressive view onto the beach of Odeceixe and the river Seixe.
Odeceixe – São Teotónio
You walk along remote walking trails, overgrown with protective vegetation, and proceed into deep valleys and then uphill again onto hilltops and in the process get to properly enjoy the view onto Odeceixe and the sea. You spend the night in the traditional Alentejano-town ‚São Teotónio’.
São Teotónio – Odemira
One of the best walkable section of the Rota Vicentina awaits. Gentle ascents and descents along the rivers São Teotónio and Mira, where you discover the beauty of the hinterland between the hills and the sea before you reach Odemira, the administration centre of the region.
Odemira – São Luis
As a finale to your walking holiday you come across lots of water: refreshing water in the streams and ponds – a special highlight is Ribeira do Torgal – where forests with precious tree species such as ash, willow and alder line the banks of rivers and streams.
You need a good basic fitness level for the daily tours of between 15 and 25 kilometres maximum with only minor changes in altitude. The route leads you along walking paths and sandy trails along cliff coasts and through untouched nature in Costa Alentejana National Park.
Category: traditonal, family-run hotels and inns (partly with swimming pool)
- 7 overnight stays as stated above, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome meeting
- Packed lunch for all daily tours
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents
- Lisbon or Faro Airport, from there to the train station and bus terminal.
- Arrival by train to Lisbon (Sete Rios) and by bus in approx. 3 hours to Vila Nova de Milfontes (www.rede-expressos.pt).
Or by train (www.cp.pt) from Lisbon (Oriente) in approx. 2 hours, or from Faro in approx. 1,5 hours to Funcheira (Garvão). From there by taxi in approx. 45 mins to Vila Nova de Milfontes, approx. EUR 50 per fare.
- Parking: unguarded parking spaces near the hotel free of charge.
- Return journey by bus from São Luis in approx. 3 hours to Lisbon. Or by taxi in approx. 45 mins to Funcheira (Garvão) and by train to Lisbon or Faro.
Return journey from São Luis to Vila Nova de Milfontes by taxi, approx. 30 mins Mins, approx. EUR 20 per fare.
- Attendance: minimum of 2 persons
- Extra nights upon request in every stage finish