Arrival in Mals
Discover the alleyways of this tranquil Vinschgau market town and marvel at the numerous towers in the sunniest place of South Tyrol.
Mals – Schluderns
Along the most beautiful Waalweg-paths you ascend into the mountaineers‘ village Matsch, gurgling watercourses accompany your route. Via the old castle ruin and the boldly laid out ‚Leitenwaal‘ you reach the prehistoric excavation site Ganglegg. In the afternoon the pretty village of Schluderns welcomes you with its proud Churburg castle, one of the best-preserved castles in South Tyrol.
Schluderns – Taufers
After a visit to Glurns, the smallest town in the Alps, you ascend high up into the ‚Stilfserjoch‘ national park. Past the nature experience ‚Wooden-Xylophone‘ you walk through the primal fir tree forest and reach the idyllic mountain village of Taufers, the Romanic ‚Haufendorf‘ is characterized by houses huddling densely together along the steeply rising mountain sides. Today you are less than a kilometer away from the Swiss state border.
Taufers – Burgeis
Today the queen’s stage of your hiking week awaits. Past traditional mountain farms you ascend to the ridge Tellajoch, where an impressive mountain world reveals itself to you with a panoramic view on the 360°-viewing platform. The descent leads you down to Schlinig, from there a short bus ride takes you to Burgeis. For a shorter tour to Burgeis we recommend the so-called ‚Stundenweg‘ via the hamlet Schleis.
Circular walk Burgeis
Enjoy a relaxing day of rest or embark on a beautiful loop tour past the Schliniger Alp to a roaring waterfall. Situated amidst some of the highest mountain giants, only a stone’s throw away from the Swiss border, the quaint hut ‚Sesvenna Hütte‘ awaits and tempts you to take a break. Extensively explore the adventure path Watles, before gliding leisurely by cable car back down into the valley.
Burgeis – St. Valentin
From Prämajur through shady forests all the way to the Brugger-alp, where we highly recommend you sample traditional Vinschgau delicacies. Enjoy the view onto the glacial world of the Ortler-Mountains during your descent to Plagött and onwards to St. Valentin, where we recommend a stroll along the lakeside of the glistening Lake Haidersee.
St. Valentin – Mals
Across the largest alluvial fan of the Alps, the ‚Malser Haide‘, you proceed across blooming meadows and past sleepy farm houses uphill into the little mountain village of Planeil. Listen to the dabbling of the Punibach-stream and allow your glance to wander over the vast valley below you. A short bus ride takes you back down to the valley to Mals.
You always walk on well-maintained hiking paths, along the typical Waalwege-paths and in parts also on forest roads. For the in parts longer ascents and walking times of up to 5 hours a good basic fitness level is recommended. The ‚Königsetappe‘-stage on Day 4 can be cut short if needed, for nearly all longer tours there are always options available to cut the route short by bus/train.
Category: beautiful 3***-hotels and country hotels
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Descent cable car Watles
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- If half board: min. 3-course meal (sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- By train to Landeck (North Tyrol) and by bus in approx. 2 hours to Mals (1x change). Or by train via Bolzano and Merano directly to Mals.
- Parking: limited number of hotel parking spaces and public parking spaces near the hotel, both free of charge. Public basement car park approx. EUR 15 per day, payable on-site. No reservation required.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Bus rides (Schluderns – Glurns, Schlinig – Burgeis, Burgeis – Schlinig, Prämajur – Burgeis, Burgeis – Prämajur, Planeil – Mals), approx. EUR 10 per person
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!