Pure adventure and nature in Thuringia.
- 5 Days / 4 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Explore Luther city Eisenach with its fortress during a stroll through the city.
Eisenach - Ascherbrück
Short train journey to Hörschel. In accordance with old tradition, this is the trailhead of the Rennsteig trail. The route takes you into the little mountain town of Ruhla, renowned for its historic watch manufacturing tradition. You continue on tranquil paths via the ‚Hohe Sonne’ and reach Ruhla-Ascherbrück. We definitely recommend a detour to the impressive dragon gorge.
Past Ruhlaer Häuschen you walk to mountain Großer Inselsberg, which measures 912 m at his highest point. From there a steep climb is awaiting you, but you will be rewarded with a fabulous view. This popular section leads down to Grenzwiese, Dreiherrenstein and on to Ebertswiese with its mountain meadows and lakes.
Ebertswiese – Oberhof
You start at 730 m above sea level and walk comfortable across the Rennsteig through the Thuringia Forest, past Krämerrod and Wachsenrasen, and on to Oberhof. In the near, the Grenzadler, a centuries-old landmark is awaiting you, today it is marking the DKB-skiing arena. The popular winter sports resort is inviting you for relaxation and offers many wellness treatments for tired legs.
Individual departure or extra days
The level of the hiking tour is easy to medium. You walk mainly on good walking paths and ridgeways, which offer beautiful views as well as in silent and untouched nature. If you are in a good shape the daily tours can be managed without difficulties.
Category: middle class hotels, inns and country hotels
- 5 overnight stays, breakfast included
- If half-board: min. 3-course meal
- Luggage transfer
- Train fare Eisenach - Hörschel
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents
Arrival / Parking
- By train to Eisenach and a short walk (approx. 10 minutes) to the hotel.
- Car park: limited number of hotel car park, approx. from EUR 5 per day, no reservation required. Free car park near the hotel or public parking garage for approx. EUR 60 per week.
- Back to the starting point by train, duration approx. 2 hrs.
- Organized transfer back to Eisenach from Oberhof EUR 55 per person, payable locally, reservation required, min. 2 persons.
- Minimum of participants: 2 persons