Bavaria at its most beautiful.
- 5 Days / 4 Nights
- Self-guided tour
With views onto the river Altmühl meandering through the valley you continue via the ‚Devil’s Pulpit’ towards Medieval Pappenheim. You descend again to the river Altmühl via the viewpoint Hollerstein and continue leisurely along the course of the river to your Day Finish, where you are greeted by the impressive castle, seat of the former ‚Reichserbmarschälle’-marshals.
Hotel example: Sonne
Via an high-altitude path with great views you walk over to Solnhofen, the mining place of the well-known Solnhofer limestone slabs and site of over 140 million-year-old fossils. Soon after an amazing and very popular photo opportunity awaits: the nature monument ‚Twelve Apostles’, steep limestone rocks embedded in juniper heaths. The route leads you to Dollnstein into the primeval Danube valley.
Hotel example: Kirchenschmied
You pass the Geo-monument ‚Burgsteinfelsen’ and continue through forests and juniper heaths and later on on a mountain path with great views all the way to Eichstätt. With Willibalds castle towering over this diocesan town, it is a complete Baroque work of art with prestigious buildings as well as dreamy little alleyways.
Hotel example: Adler
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
The terrain is easy and you walk on well-maintained walking paths. For each daily tour a good basic fitness level is required. Technically the tours are easy and can be mastered without any difficulties. For longer parts shortcuts by foot or by public transport are possible.
Category: mid range hotels and inns
- 4 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Carefully elaborated route descriptions
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-Data is available
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Train journey to Treuchtlingen and only a short walk to the start-hotel.
- Parking: limited number of hotel parking spaces EUR 5 per day, no reservation possible. Parking spaces at Treuchtlingen train station free of charge.
- Return by train to Treuchtlingen, from Eichstätt approx. 30 minutes.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Travel by public transport to shorten the daily hikes, optional
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!