Bavaria at its most beautiful.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
With views onto the river Altmühl meandering through the valley you continue via the ‚Devil’s Pulpit’ towards Medieval Pappenheim. You descend again to the river Altmühl via the viewpoint Hollerstein and continue leisurely along the course of the river to your Day Finish, where you are greeted by the impressive castle, seat of the former ‚Reichserbmarschälle’-marshals.
Hotel example: Sonne
Via an high-altitude path with great views you walk over to Solnhofen, the mining place of the well-known Solnhofer limestone slabs and site of over 140 million-year-old fossils. Soon after an amazing and very popular photo opportunity awaits: the nature monument ‚Twelve Apostles’, steep limestone rocks embedded in juniper heaths. The route leads you to Dollnstein into the primeval Danube valley.
Hotel example: Kirchenschmied
You pass the Geo-monument ‚Burgsteinfelsen’ and continue through forests and juniper heaths and later on on a mountain path with great views all the way to Eichstätt. With Willibalds castle towering over this diocesan town, it is a complete Baroque work of art with prestigious buildings as well as dreamy little alleyways.
Hotel example: Adler
Eichstätt – Kipfenberg
With a lovely view onto the striking Osterberg mountain and the Roman fort Vetoniana, you walk to the Buchenhüller mammoth cave. You will walk across wonderful alpine paths above Altmühl and you will get fantastic views of the valley and the rock faces whilst walking along the panoramic path. You will walk through the Gugoldinger Wacholderheide, which is a fantastic nature protection area before you will go past the Arnsberger Leite and the Limes watch tower to Kipfenberg.
Hotel example: Zur Post
Kipfenberg – Beilngries
Today’s tour starts with stunning views and insights into the beautiful Anlauter valley. Reach Kinding with its impressive fortified church and cosy inns. Shortly afterwards the panorama path again keeps its promise: magnificent views into the Altmühl valley and onto bizarre rock formations. After that another scenic outpost awaits: the Main-Danube canal, Arzberg, Beilngries, Altmühl and Sulz. A steep descent to Beilngries follows.
Hotel example: Krone
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
The terrain is easy and you walk on well-maintained walking paths. For each daily tour a good basic fitness level is required. Technically the tours are easy and can be mastered without any difficulties. For longer parts shortcuts by foot or by public transport are possible
Category: mid range hotels and inns
- 6 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Carfully elaborated route descriptions
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-Data is available
Arrivial / Parking / Departure:
- Train journey to Treuchtlingen and only a short walk to the start-hotel.
- Parking: limited number of hotel parking spaces EUR 5 per day, no reservation possible. Parking spaces at Treuchtlingen train station free of charge.
- Return by train to Treuchtlingen, from Beilngries approx. 2 hours (1x change trains) and from Eichstätt approx. 30 minutes.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Travel by public transport to shorten the daily hikes, optional
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!