South Tyrolean Wine & Alpine Pasture Trail
IDYLLIC PLACES WITH ITALIAN FLAIR
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Meran – Nals
Along the path ‚Marlinger Waalweg’, the longest Waal of South Tyrol into the ‚apple metropolis’ Lana. On your way marvellous views onto Meran and the Etsch valley until Bozen await. Through deciduous forests you ascend all the way to Tisens, famous for its sweet chestnuts. The second section of Day 2 brings you to an area teeming with castles, in Nals the 3 castles Stachelburg, Schwanburg and Payrsberg await.
Hotel example: Traubenheim
Nals – Bozen
A wonderful walk past palaces and castles along the high-altitude path with a fantastic view. Part of the way leads you along the 3-castle route into the well-known wine-growing village of Eppan with its extensive wine growing areas and the characteristic flair of the South Tyrolean wine route. Then a short bus ride into the provincial capital Bozen. Enjoy the Italian flair in the arbour alleys and whilst sipping a cappuccino on Waltherplatz square.
Hotel example: Scala Stiegl
Bozen – Mölten
In the morning take the cable car to Jenesien and experience South Tyrol’s most stunning facets. Starting with a unique panoramic view from lake Kalterer See over the castles and palaces along the wine route to the jaggered rockfaces of the Dolomites. Walk across vast meadows dotted with horses and cattle and through clear forests with ancient larch trees until you reach the village of Mölten on the high plateau of the Tschöggelberg mountain.
Hotel example: Zum Löwen
Circular walk Mölten
The picturesque village of Mölten, situated above 1100 m is surrounded by breathtaking scenery. Meadows covered in flowers, insanely fragrant larch forests and alpine pastures right up to the ‚Steinerne Mandln’ (stoney people) invite to a relaxing walk. Nature at its finest as well as breathtaking distant views onto the Etsch valley right at your feet and numerous impressive mountain peaks are a constant companion on this circular walk.
Hotel example: Zum Löwen
Mölten – Meran
The final leg of this tour takes you across a glorious Alpine pasture scenery with green meadows and grazing cattle to the Leadner Alp, where you simply have to taste their home-made dumpling specialities. After a hearty break your tour continues along the panoramic high-altitude path to Trauttmannsdorff palace. Please visit the magnificent parks and landscaped gardens before you descend into the centre of Meran.
Hotel example: Flora
Departure or extra days
You walk on well-maintained walking paths, on ‚Waalwegen’ (old irrigation systems) and in sections on forest roads and asphalted paths. Technically an easy tour, for walking times of 4 to 5.5 hours a good basic fitness level is required.
Category: lovely 3***-hotels und inns, Bozen 4****-hotel
- 6 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Cable car ascent fare Jenesien
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-Data is available
- Service hotline
- If half board: min. 3-course evening meal (sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Arrival by train in Meran.
- Parking: Limited number of free hotel parking spaces or limited parking spaces near the hotel approx. EUR 30 per week. Underground carpark (limited spaces) approx. EUR 12 per day, payable on site, no reservation possible.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Bus fare from Eppan – Bozen, Vöran – Meran approx. EUR 6 per person
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!