From Lake Königssee to Lake Chiemsee
Summits, Pastures & Lakes in the Chiemgauer Alps.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Hotel (example): Bergheimat
Relaxed walking tour past lake Hintersee penetrating deep into National Park Berchtesgaden. Impressive scenery along the way. To the right the summits of Reiter Alpe and to the left mighty Hochkalterer mountains. Across alpine pastures and past the border at Hirschbichl, then down through white water gorge Seisenbergklamm into Saalach valley.
Hotel (example): Seisenbergklamm
Follow the Saalachtal valley to Lamprechts cave (longest passage cave of Europe) and continue to Vorderkaser gorge where you find a natural swimming pool. St. Martin home of the pilgrim church ‘Maria Kirchtal’ is the apex of today. Walk up to the church in an idyllic side valley closely along the walls of Loferer Steinberge. On this beautiful trail you will soon reach the town Lofer, surrounded by numerous impressive mountain ranges.
Hotel (example): Dankl
Take the cable car up to Loferer Alm, where a high altitude path to the Steinplatten massif starts. Walk across alpine pastures and a lovely mountain forest to Loferer Steinplatte. The idyllic alpine pasture Winklmoos Alm is an ideal stop for a Bavarian ‘Brotzeit’. Well sustained you take the bus to Reit im Winkl.
Hotel (example): Nuihausa
Day off in Reit im Winkl
Enjoy a tranquil day in the well known holiday resort ‘Reit im Winkl’. Tip for a walking tour: A classic mountain tour starts in Reit im Winkl up to Fellhorn. Very tempting is a comfortable walk to the swimming lake Weitsee where you can relax.
Hotel (example): Nuihausa
The ‘Eye of lake Chiemsee’ is the poetic name of lake Taubensee. This is easily understood when you see this idyllic mountain lake, nestling in a little basin of Rauhe Nadel on 1138 m.A fantastic walk from alpine pasture to alpine pasture and downhill into the valley Achental awaits you.
Hotel (example): Gabriele
After a short ascent you walk through the forests up to the alpine pastures on Hochplatte and then to Kampenwand with views over the Lake Chiemsee. Continue on a trail from cabin to cabin beneath Kampenwand, which has a beautiful 12-meter high iron cross at the top. You will take the comfortable cable car down to Aschau, where you take a short train ride to the lake Chiemsee.
Hotel (example): Bayerischer Hof
Daily walking tours between 4 to 6 hours with some short but steep climbs. Easier alternatives to the high altitude paths are given. You walk on good walking paths and forest lanes. Sometimes surefootedness required.
Category: pretty 3*** hotels and country hotels
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Transfer on 2nd day
- Uphill cable car fare Lofer
- Uphill cable car fare Hochplattenbahn
- Downhill cable car fare Kampenwand
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English, French)
- GPS-data is available
- If half-board: min. 3-course evening meal (sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Organized return transfer to Schoenau/Koenigssee EUR 70 per person (min. 2 persons, only possible on SAT/SUN). Reservation requested, payable in advance.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- By train to Berchtesgaden then by bus or taxi (short ride) to Schoenau/Koenigssee (appox. 15 min., depending on starting hotel).
- Car parking: Public parking near the hotels for approx. EUR 5 per day or EUR 30 per week. No reservation requested
- Return to Koenigssee by train/bus, duration approx. 2.5 hrs. (1 change).
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Special dates on request
- Fares for public transport, for example from Winklmoos Alm to Reit im Winkl, approx. EUR 10 per person.
- Train fare from Aschau to Prien/surroundings, approx. EUR 3 per person.
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!