WALKING AND GOOD FOOD.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum of participants: 2 persons
Arrival in Sarlat-la-Canéda
Circular walk Sarlat
Sarlat, officially named "Sarlat-La-Canéda", is an idyllic small town in „Périgord Noir“. The well maintained old town with houses from the 15th and 16th century as well the honey and ochre coloured walls emanate a special atmosphere. Walk through the old town to the numerous points of interest.Feel the best city flair of cool, shady alleys and inner courtyards.
Sarlat-la-Canéda – Domme
At first you walk through the forest to the Dordogne, follow the river bank to Monlord. Continue to Domme, where you will stay overnight. The well maintained Bastide occupies a spectacular situation on a rocky outcrop over the Dordogne. Enjoy a stroll through the village with small shops, offering arts and crafts as well as local specialities.
Domme – Les Eyzies
The highlights of today are the splendid castles of Castelnaud and Millandes, which you should not miss to visit. Afterwards you follow the idyllic river walk to Beynac, where you have a transfer to your hotel in Les Eyzies.
The today circular walk leads to La Madeleine. Walk through the valley of Dordogne into the valley of the river Vézère, likewise characteristic for the Périgord. Here you find pre-historic wall paintings, caves and other sanctuaries that witness the existence of pre-historic men. Visit the castle Tayac in Les Eyzies, exhibiting a Neandertal. Alternatively, you can choose the shorter circular walk around river Beaune.
Les Eyzies – Montignac
In the morning short transfer to village Lespinasse. Afterwards follow river Vezère up-river, crossing it several times and walk through many small villages – pure Dordogne. How about a picnic with baguette, wine and cheese for substance? This night you will stay in the lovely village Montignac.
Today you walk to the caves of Lascaux, part of UNESCO Heritage with the oldest paintings of mankind. Visit the reproductions in a mock-up of the caves. In the afternoon, you will make a canoe trip to Saint-Léon-sur- Vézère, a gorgeous village with cozy cafes near by the water.
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
Walking tour through varied scenery. You walk in a region of pleasure with many points of interest. Good basic fitness level for longer walking distances required, tours can be cut short via transfers. Sometimes shorter variants are available.
Category Charm: You spend the night in specially selected hotels with special "extras" and can enjoy all the facilities of the charming accommodations (see "Accommodation Charm-Category").
Category A: pretty 2**- and 3***-hotels (French classifying)
- 7 overnight stays in selected category, breakfast included
- 4x resp. 1x evening meals (category charm: 1x Sarlat, 1x Domme, 1x Les Eyzies, 1x Montignac; category A: 1x Domme)
- Luggage transfer (1 piece of luggage per person)
- Transfer on days 2, 3, 4 and 6 (upon request, to shorten the walking distance)
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- Service hotline
- For departure we recommend taking the taxi from Montignac to Brive (train station) or to Sarlat, cost approx. EUR 80 per fare (Sunday/holiday approx. EUR 100). Reservation required on arrival at the hotel in Montignac, payable on-site.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Airport Bordeaux und further by train to Sarlat, approx. 3 hours, or airport Bergerac and further by train to Sarlat, approx. 1,5 hours (www.sncf.com).
- By train via Paris to Sarlat in approx. 6 hours. (1x change of trains).
- Parking: public parking place close to the hotel, approx. EUR 5 per day. No reservation possible, payable on-site.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!