Itinerary at a glance
Sarlat, officially named "Sarlat-La-Canéda", is an idyllic small town in „Périgord Noir“. The well maintained old town with houses from the 15th and 16th century as well the honey and ochre coloured walls emanate a special atmosphere. Walk through the old town to the numerous points of interest.Feel the best city flair of cool, shady alleys and inner courtyards.
At first you walk through the forest to the Dordogne, follow the river bank to Monlord. Continue to Domme, where you will stay overnight. The well maintained Bastide occupies a spectacular situation on a rocky outcrop over the Dordogne. Enjoy a stroll through the village with small shops, offering arts and crafts as well as local specialities.
The highlights of today are the splendid castles of Castelnaud and Millandes, which you should not miss to visit. Afterwards you follow the idyllic river walk to Beynac, where you have a transfer to your hotel in Les Eyzies.
The today circular walk leads to La Madeleine. Walk through the valley of Dordogne into the valley of the river Vézère, likewise characteristic for the Périgord. Here you find pre-historic wall paintings, caves and other sanctuaries that witness the existence of pre-historic men. Visit the castle Tayac in Les Eyzies, exhibiting a Neandertal. Alternatively, you can choose the shorter circular walk around river Beaune.
In the morning short transfer to village Lespinasse. Afterwards follow river Vezère up-river, crossing it several times and walk through many small villages – pure Dordogne. How about a picnic with baguette, wine and cheese for substance? This night you will stay in the lovely village Montignac.
Today you walk to the caves of Lascaux, part of UNESCO Heritage with the oldest paintings of mankind. Visit the reproductions in a mock-up of the caves. In the afternoon, possibility of canoeing on the Vézère to Saint-Léon-sur-Vézère, a charming village with cosy cafés by the water.
Walking tour through varied scenery. You walk in a region of pleasure with many points of interest. Good basic fitness level for longer walking distances required, tours can be cut short via transfers. Sometimes shorter variants are available.
Prices and dates
Category: pretty 2**- and 3***-hotels (French classifying)
Minimum number of participants: 2 people
Services & Information
Further details about this tour
- Accommodation as mentioned
- Luggage transfer (1 piece of luggage per person)
- Transfer on 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th day (upon request, to shorten the walking distance)
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English)
- Service hotline
- For departure we recommend taking the taxi from Montignac to Brive (train station) or to Sarlat, cost approx. EUR 90 per fare (Sunday/holiday approx. EUR 120). Reservation required on arrival at the hotel in Montignac, payable on-site.
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- By train via Paris to Sarlat in approx. 6 hours (1x change of trains)
- Airport Bordeaux und further by train to Sarlat, approx. 3 hours, or airport Bergerac and further by train to Sarlat, approx. 2.5 hours (www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine).
- Parking: public parking place close to the hotel, approx. EUR 5 per day. No reservation possible, payable on-site.
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- This tour is a partner tour.