Lake Walking in Austria’s Salzkammergut with Charm
White Horse Inn, Imperial Summer Residence and UNESCO Heritage.
Arrival on lake Wolfgangsee
St. Wolfgang – Bad Ischl
From St. Wolfgang on Saddle walk to lake Schwarzensee. Here the lake cabin of Lore is worth a stop for the delicious home made snacks. Via Wirer gorge into the valley and around Bürglstein to the lake promenade of Strobl. By coach into the ancient Imperial summer residence Bad Ischl.
Bad Ischl – Hallstatt
Salt always has been an important source of income in Salzkammergut. The oldest brine pipeline of the world leads from Hallstatt’s salt mine to the salt works in Bad Ischl. Walk along the promenade into Kaltenbachau, a site of Imperial pleasures as horse races, picnics and rendezvous. On brine pipeline trail to Bad Goisern, the gateway to UNESCO heritage Hallstatt. By train to Hallstatt. If you want to walk a little higher, you can hike on the spectacular mountain trail of the “Eternal Wall”.
Hallstatt – St. Wolfgang
By train to Bad Ischl. Along the romantic Sissi-Path you walk to the tiny lake Nussensee then along river Ischl back to lake Wolfgangsee. Through the nature reserve Blinklingmoos along the lake back to today’s stop-over.
Departure or extension
This tour combines pleasant walking with culture and places of interest. The walking paths are good, there are just some short ascents on smaller serpentine paths. We can recommend this tour for families.
Category: You spend the night in specially selected hotels with special "extras" and can enjoy all the facilities of the charming accommodations (see "Accommodation").
- 4 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Ferry fare Wolfgangsee
- Train fare from Bad Goisern to Bad Ischl
- Salzkammergut Erlebnis Card (reductions for cable cars, thermal bath Bad Ischl, salt mine Hallstatt, Boat rides etc.)
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English, French)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Transfers from/to airport/station Salzburg upon request.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- By train to Salzburg, by bus to Wolfgangsee (approx. 1 hour). Or by train to Bad Ischl and by bus to Wolfgangsee (approx. 30 min). Pick up service from the bus stop by the hotel.
- Parking: mostly free hotel car park available, partly public car park, approx. EUR 30 per week. No reservation required.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Bus ride Strobl – Bad Ischl, approx. EUR 4 per person
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
This tour has 1 more variation
Hotel Weisses Rössl
Internationally renowned is this hotel on Lake Wolfgangsee because of Ralph Benatzky’s operetta.
Hotel Villa Seilern
Located in the picturesque spa town of Bad Ischl, Villa Seilern consists of a classical villa built in 1881 and its modern and stylish annex building.
Wedged between the mountain and the lake, in the middle of the UNESCO world cultural heritage you can really feel the unique ‘Hallstatt’-feeling.