Alpine Crossing 1: from Lindau to Füssen.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum of participants: 2 persons
Arrival in Lindau
Arrive individually at Lake Constance and the charming city of Lindau.
From Lindau to Lingenau
In the morning, you take the bus and train from Lindau to Wolfurt. The hiking path leads you over the Alberschwende to Brüggelekopf (1,150 m). From there, you hike on to the Lingenauer Hochbrücke (610 m) until you reach todays destination. At Lingenau, we recommend visiting the "Quelltuff-Naturlehrpfad".
Most of today’s stage of the Maximilian’s Trail I guides you through the valley of Leckenbach, which is truly picturesque with its alpine pastures. Due to the situation in the valley, the first part of the trail is only slightly going uphill. With the last two hours, the trail leads quite tightly uphill to the Staufner Haus. After arriving at the Staufner Haus, you take the cable car ‘Hochgratbahn’ down to the valley and following the bus to Oberstaufen, where you spend the night.
The day starts with a bus ride to the Hochgratbahn again and uphill to the Staufner Haus. From there, follow the long-distance hiking trail to the Nagelfluh chain. There are two options: the easier option runs via the Gündlesscharte and Gundzesrieder Säge to Gunzesried and then on to Sonthofen. The more challenging, but also more attractive option is hiking a part of the famous Nagelfluh ridge hike. You pass the Hochgrat, the Rindalphorn and the Burlakopf. Your overnight stay is in Sonthofen.
On today's diverse stage, you have remarkable views of the Allgäu Alps and the Tannheimer mountains. The highest point of today’s stage is the summit of Spieser (1.651 m). The first part of the hike runs on asphalt; at the Spieser you will find steep mountain paths. The stage ends with more comfortable paths and asphalt roads.
Today a short part of your route takes you through Austrian territory, before you pass an idyllic alpine landscape with lush green pastures along the Vils until you arrive in today’s day finish Pfronten.
From Pfronten to Füssen
Your last stage first leads you to the castle ruins of Falkenstein, Germanys highest castle ruin. Wonderful panoramic views onto the seascape of the Hopfensee, the Illasbergsee, the Lechsee and the Forggensee await you. Uphill the Zirmengrat you walk through a beautiful landscape full of mountain pine until you reach the picturesque Alatsee. The last part of your walking tour today takes you to your day finish Füssen.
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
The stages of the Maximilian’s Trail rank among the longer hiking stages. From 18 to 26 km and partly up to 1.200 meters in altitude, you should have mountain experience and surefootedness. Single stages or sections can be shortened by public transport.
Category: beautiful 3***- hotels and country hotels
Extra nights upon request in Lindau and Füssen
Special dates on request
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- Tourist tax, if due, is included in the price
- Service hotline
- Organised transfer from Füssen to Lindau, cost EUR 115 per person (from 2 persons), EUR 75 per person (from 3 persons) and EUR 56 per persons (from 4 persons). Booking in advance required, payable in advance.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Arrival by train to Lindau.
- Parking: limited number of car parks near the hotels, no reservation necessary.
- Return journey by train from Füssen to Lindau, approx. 3 hours (1x change of train).
Things to note:
- Travel by public transport, approx. EUR 30 per person
- Cabel car “Hochgratbahn” fare, approx. EUR 17 per person
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!