The Most Beautiful Villages in the Luberon.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum of participants: 2 persons
Isle sur la Sorgue is a genuine island village, surrounded by crystal clear waters of the river Sorgue. The weekly Sunday market is one of the most diverse in Provence, along the canal you find numerous cosy cafés, restaurants and antique shops.
Short transfer to Fontaine de Vaucluse, named after the spring and the source of the river Sorgue. Through cedar forests you follow the ‚mur de la peste’, a stone wall errected in 1720 to protect the Provence region against the pest. After a visit to Cabrières and its castle, your route continues towards Gordes. This lovely village, used as backdrop in numerous Provence-movies, was built from grey limestone and towers like a castle above the valley.
Today’s tour leads you via flowering and scented fields with old stone huts into the Sénancole valley. Soon you can make out the Abbaye Sénanque with its lavender gardens in the distance: built in 1148 and still occupied, this monastery is not only one of the best-preserved Romanesque buildings in France, but definitely also one of the most impressive. There will be plenty of time left to visit the monastery, before returning to Gordes.
Gordes – Bonnieux
In the morning short transfer to Goult. You cross the Calavon valley past old stone farm houses, until you reach Lacoste. The castle ruins of the Marquis de Sade tower high above the town, it also offers a magnificent ensemble of old city gates, cobbled alleyways and the charm of the Marquis’ castle. Continue to Bonnieux, a picturesque treasure of the Luberon, immortalised in Peter Mayle’s book ‘A Year in Provence’.
Bonnieux – Buoux
On the high plateaus you walk through truffel- and oak plantations. After the pass Col du Pointu, you reach the Grand Luberon. A narrow path leads to the Château de Buoux and to the chapel St. Marie dating back to the 12th century. After the village of Buoux you continue along steep rock faces, before descending on an enchanting mule trail, snaking downhill into the valley floor of Aiguebrun towards your accommodation.
Walk between limestone walls through the lush and green Aiguebrun valley. Accompanied by mediterranean vegetation, like winter savory and wild lavender, you reach the ridge of the Luberon, a rounded peak, overgrown with thyme. From there you can enjoy a fabulous panoramic view, weather permitting, all the way to the Mediterranean Sea. On your way back, the route takes you via the 3000-year old ruins of the fortress Buoux. Afterwards organised return transfer to Isle sur la Sorgue for overnight stay, where you can pass your walking tour with a glass of red wine with a view of Sorgue.
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
Walking, culture and pleasure go perfectly hand in hand on this tour. The Luberon-terrain is hilly and the paths are easy and well-maintained, nevertheless a good basic fitness level is required. An enchanting, colourful and natural landscape with little quaint villages awaits you.
| Season 1 |
01.03.2021 - 31.03.2021
01.10.2021 - 15.11.2021
| Season 2 |
01.04.2021 - 30.06.2021
01.09.2021 - 30.09.2021
|Picturesque Provence 7 days, FR-PRWIB-07X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single room||389.00||419.00|
Category: 2x traditional 3***-hotel, pretty 2**-hotels and country estates, partly with pool (French classifying)
Extra nights upon request in each day Finish
- 6x overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- 1x evening meal (Buoux)
- 1x picnic (Day 6)
- Luggage transfer (1 piece of luggage per person)
- Transfers according to program
- Return transfer Buoux – Isle sur la Sorgue
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Service hotline
- Organised airport transfer from airport Marseille or Avignon to Isle sur la Sorgue on arrival and departure day, bookable on request and payable in advance.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Airport Marseille (Vitrolles) and by train to Isle sur la Sorgue, approx. 1 hour.
- Arrival by train via Paris to Avignon and from there a 30-minute train ride to Isle sur la Sorgue (www.sncf.com).
- Parking: Limited number of hotel parking spaces, cost approx. EUR 10 per day. Reservation required at booking, payable on-site. Free public parking spaces near the hotel, no reservation possible.
- Return transfer from Buoux to Isle sur la Sorgue is organised and included in the price.
Things to note:
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!