Medieval Alsace 1
Wissembourg – Saverne: Northern Vosges
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Wissembourg
Wissembourg has a medieval fortification wall, beautiful patrician houses and the Ancien Hôpital.
Cross the summit of Taubenberg to Pfaffenschlick and Soultzerkopf. Arrive in Lembach, where you can see part of the Maginot-Line „Kalkofen". Named after the French defence secretary André Maginot the defence system consisted of a line of bunkers along the French border to Germany.
The fortresses of the Vosges are part of today’s program. In the morning you walk to Löwenstein, Hohenburg and Fleckenstein, belonging to the most typical fortresses of the Vosges. In the afternoon you will reach Fronensburg.
Walk through Lautertal valley up to fortress Schöenck. Then you climb up the Wintersberg, a summit reaching about 581 m above the Vosges. Via Dittenthal and the Celtic camp you reach bath town Niederbronn-les-Bains.
High above Niederbronn-les-Bains there is castle Wasenburg, which was built by a bishop of Straßburg in the 13th century. You walk past the beautiful villages Oberbronn, Offwiller, Rothbach and finally to Ingwiller.
Starting from the valley ‚Moder Tal’ you proceed to Sparsbach and the little hamlet of Englischberg, where an amazing view awaits. You walk high up to the little village La Petite Pierre with its unique location on top of a sandstone boulder.
Walk to neo-romantic Huneburg; continue to the ruins of Daubenschlagfels and then walk down to Saverne.
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
Easy to medium walking tour on well marked nature paths, sometimes asphalted, through undulating countryside. Daily stages between 16 and 23 km and walking times between 4.5 to 6 hrs. Max. daily difference in altitude is 770 m.
Category: 2**- and 3***-hotels and country hotels (French classifying)
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- Service hotline
- If half board: min. 3-course evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Arrival by train to Wissembourg and in a few walking minutes to the hotel.
- Parking: Free parking spaces near the hotel, no reservation possible.
- Return journey by train from Saverne via Strasbourg to Wissembourg, approx. 2,5 hours.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Extra nights in Straßburg upon request
- Special dates on request
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!