Gorges du Verdon
Hiking in France’s Grand Canyon.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided Tour
- Minimum number of participants: 2 people
Arrival in Castellane
Discover the remains of the historic fortress and the picturesque historic centre. Alternatively take a circular hike to the Notre Dame du Roc chapel, towering over the town on a 184-metre-high limestone cliff.
You leave Castellane and via ancient Roman trails reach the little sheperd’s village of Chasteuil. Enjoy a short break before you continue to the limestone bog and pastures located higher up. During the rocky descent towards Rougon you hike through dense forests featuring century-old oak trees and majestic canyons, at the famous Point Sublime your Day Finish awaits with a stunning view.
Today a true hiking classic is next on the agenda: the „Sentier Blanc-Martel“, named after Edouard Alfred Martel, the discoverer of the Grand Canyon of Verdon. The path is spectacular and leads via countless ladders and through winding tunnels deeper and deeper into the unique rocky scenery. Marvel at the steep limestone scarps surrounding you as well as the turquoise-green waters of the river Verdun below you at the bottom of the canyon. A truely unforgettable experience! Short transfer into the pretty village of La Palud-sur-Verdon.
In the morning transfer to La Maline to the start of the hiking tour via the „Sentier du Bastidon“. Time and again you are spoilt with grandiose views onto the canyons of Belevedere de Mayreste. The winding route leads you in countless turns above the river Verdon along the slope, experience the contrast of jugged rock, the ‚Garrigue‘ and the pine- and beech tress up close.
Initially you walk through a marvellous oak- and beech forest with a view onto the village of La Palud, before following the impressive Baou-trail between cliffs and gorges all the way to Rougon. This little place is situated high up amidst the mountain peaks on a viewing platform. Steep in the panorama and the incredible view into the distance in peace and quiet before you continue with your hike to Point Sublime.
Point Sublime – Trigance
Across an ancient Roman bridge, constructed with only one arch, you ascend along the ancient shepherd’s trail through the forest to the Belvédère de Rancoumas, a ledge offering a fabulous view far into the Verdon-river valley canyon and onto the 500-metre-high rockface of Escalès. From the Plateau d’Entrevergues along forest paths and green pastures you reach the medieval hamlet Trigance. Enjoy an evening of absolute quiet and amidst idyllic nature.
Departure or extension
After the breakfast back to Castellane by organised transfer.
You mainly walk on well-maintained, rocky paths through a unique canyon landscape. Surefootedness as well as a head for heights are prerequisite along the limestone rock and when crossing the numerous ladders and bridges. A good basic fitness level is necessary for the individual hiking tours with walking times of up to 6.5 hours each.
| Season 1 |
28.04.2023 - 26.06.2023
02.09.2023 - 31.10.2023
|Gorges du Verdon, 7 days, FR-PRWCT-07X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single traveler||279.00|
|Surcharge single room||349.00|
Category: pretty 2**-hotels and traditional country estates (French classifying)
Extra nights in each day upon request.
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- 2 Half board (Point Sublime)
- Luggage transfer (1 piece of luggage per person)
- Transfers according to program
- 1 Return transfer Trigance – Castellane
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-data available
- Service hotline
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Arrival by train via Paris to Marseille and from there by bus in approx. 4.5 hours to Castellane (www.ter.sncf.com/paca).
- Nice-Airport and from there by bus or train in approx. 2 hours to Castellane.
- Parking: public parking spaces free of charge near the hotel, no reservation possible.
- Organised return transfer from Trigance to Castellane, included in the tour price.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!