Arrival in Villach
Explore the stunning historic centre of Villach, the bridge across the river Drau, the promenade and the Italian flair at the main square.
Villach – Velden
A short train ride takes you directly to Lake Wörthersee. During a leisurely loop tour via the peninsula you discover the noble villas along the Brahms-promenade, high up from the viewpoint „Hohe Gloriette“ you enjoy fabulous views onto the turquoise-green lake. Onwards through green forests and vast fields all the way to Lake Forstsee, on its shores you get to enjoy a break and marvel at the surrounding mountain world. In the afternoon you walk past the magnificent casino and palace along the lakeside to Velden.
Circular walk Velden
Along diverse forest paths you ascend to the Teixelkreuz. Climb up the viewpoint tower Pyramidenkogel, from where you enjoy panoramic views as far as the Slovenian mountain world in good weather conditions. You descend in a spectacular fashion via Europe’s highest enclosed slide. In the afternoon you leisurely cross the lake by boat and from the water you get to marvel at the renowned peninsula and church of Maria Wörth.
Velden – Döbriach
In the morning by train through the Drautal-valley to Spittal. Stroll through the castle grounds to the famous Renaissance palace ‚Porcia‘. After that you walk through the spectacular gorge ‚Lieser Schlucht‘ and reach Seeboden on Lake Millstätter See. A fantastic lakeside trail leads you directly along the water, accompanied by stupendous views onto the deep-blue lake and the fancy holiday resorts opposite. Delightful boat ride to Döbriach, today’s Day Finish.
Circular walk Döbriach
Today an entire day spent in the hiking village of Döbriach awaits, numerous activities and hiking paths to choose from. Ascend to the ‚Sternenbalkon‘ offering the best view across the entire length of the lake all the way into the Central Alps, you hike along the panorama path to Glanz and climb up the Hohe Wand-rockface. Alternatively you can simply embark on a loop tour in the village via dirt tracks and lakeside paths with wonderful opportunities for a swim in the bay ‚Döbriacher Bucht‘ – there are plenty of possibilities!
Döbriach – Feld am See
The Juwelenweg-path leads you to Radenthein situated in the Nock Mountains, where a cheese tasting in the dairy Kaslab´n awaits. After this rewarding break you continue along forest paths and trails across meadows to the wildlife park, where you get to marvel at all kinds of animals. In the afternoon you reach Feld on Lake Brennsee, here we highly recommend you enjoy a swim in the cool water.
Feld – See to Villach
Along the spectacular lake-trail over hedge and ditch to the Finsterbach-waterfalls and onwards to the viewpoint pavilion at the rockface ‚Peterlewand‘. Optionally you can also ascend by cable car to the Gerlitzen and embark on a loop tour on the alpine pastures to some wonderful mountain huts. In the afternoon you get to marvel at Lake Ossiacher See again, this time as part of a boat ride, before you return to your starting point after a short train ride: at the beautiful main square in Villach it is time to relax and with a glass of wine make a toast to your adventurous hiking week.
You walk along beautiful, diverse hiking paths and trails, forest roads and forest paths. Surefootedness is required for a few narrow short rocky sections. For the hiking tours with a maximum walking time of 5 hours a good basic fitness level is sufficient. Often you have a choice between an easy and a more challenging option.
Category: 4****-hotels, lovely 3***-hotels and inns
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- ‚Kärnten Card‘ (Gerlitzen-ascent, boat rides on Lake Millstätter See and Lake Ossiacher See, entrance fee for wildlife park, Porcia palace as well as reductions for boat trip on Lake Wörthersee, use of public transport and many more)
- Cheese tasting ‚Nockberge‘ (German, English)
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- If half board: min. 3-course meal (sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Klagenfurt airport, by shuttle bus to the train station and from there by train in approx. 40 minutes to Villach.
- By train to Villach.
- Parking: mostly free hotel car park or nearby public parking available, partly public covered car park, approx. EUR 35 per week. No reservation required.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Boat ride on Lake Wörthersee, approx. EUR 8 per person, alternatively bus ride approx. EUR 2.50
- Fares for public transport, approx. EUR 15 per person
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!