From Munich into Allgäu
Munich’s Jacobs Pilgrim Trail.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Munich
Hotel (example): Sheraton Westpark
From Munich along the river Isar heading south. Past a zoo and taking in final amazing views of Munich, through the forests along the Isar to Schäftlarn monastery with its inn and beer garden.
Hotel (example): Gut Schwaige
Short transfer to Starnberg, Bavaria’s well known sailing and spa paradise. From Starnberg via a gorge called the ‚Maisinger Schlucht’ to the Maisingersee, an idyllic lake surrounded by reeds and inviting beer gardens. Onwards to Andechs monastery with stunning views of lake Ammersee. Walking trail descends to the banks of this untouched lake on to Herrsching or by boat to Diessen.
Hotel (example): Seefelder Hof
A comfortable walk to Paterzeller Eibenwald, a forest with the biggest yew tree population in Bavaria. Through the Oderdinger Filz and characteristic Bavarian countryside on to Weilheim, a historic trade city. The next three days pass through a region in the South of Bavaria between the rivers Lech and Loisach called ‚Pfaffenwinkel’, which is renowned for its diversity in pilgrimage churches.
Hotel (example): Vollmann
You leave Weilheim and walk on the Saint Jacob´s Trail through the small monastery-village Polling to Peisenberg. Then the way leads you to the High Peisenberg, from where you can enjoy wonderful wide views of the Zugspitze and the Tyrolean and Allgäu mountains. A short train fare or a comfortable walk will take you to Peiting/Schongau.
Hotel (example): Pfaffenwinkel
You start your hike through the gorge Ammerschlucht on a fascinating trail system above the river to Rottenbuch, the main town of "Pfaffenwinkel". On the Pfaffenwinkler Milchweg you walk through the mill-village Wildsteig and continue to church Wieskirche, the famous church of pilgrimage (UNESCO World Heritage). Then you walk over boardwalks through the bog Wiesfilz to Steingaden. From there a short bus journey takes you to Halblech/Trauchgau.
Hotel (example): Alpchalet Schwanstein
As a highlight of this walking tour it takes you to the banks of lake Forggensee, the gateway to the Allgäu region. Walk along the lake straight to the world famous fairy tale castle ‚Neuschwanstein’. Passing Lake Schwansee, the trail finally leads to Füssen, the end of an exciting week of walking.
Hotel (example): Hirsch
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
Tours are easy however for tours up to 5.5 hours good basic fitness level is required. In parts some sections can be shortened by taking a bus. Walks are on well maintained walking and forest trails as well as asphalted paths. Only minor altitude differences due to walks mainly in valleys.
Category: 4**** hotel in Munich, 3*** hotels and inns
Extra night prices valid until 15.09.2019, dates after that on request
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Transfer from Schäftlarn to Starnberg
- Boat fare from Herrsching to Diessen
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Train station Munich and underground to hotel.
- Parking: parking spaces available in hotel garage approx. EUR 50 per week, no reservation taken. Unguarded parking spaces near hotel free of charge.
- Return train journey from Füssen to Munich, duration approx. 2 hours (1x change trains).
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Train fare from Peissenberg to Peiting/Schongau, approx. EUR 5 per person
- Bus fare from Steingaden to Halblech, approx. EUR 5 per person
- Special dates on request
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!