Time travel to the haunted mountains.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Shkoder
Shkoder embodies the long and volatile history of a country situated at the border of two major cultural environments. The castle Rozafa steeped in legend, was built by the Illyrians, from there you can enjoy maginficent panoramic views across the biggest lake of the Balkans and the foothills of the Albanian Alps. Experience the mediterranean flair in the busy pedestrian area of North Albania’s capital and sample delicacies of the local cuisine.
Shkoder – Valbona/Rragam
Transfer through the gorges ‚Drinschluchten’ to the ferry dock in Koman in the early morning. You get attuned to your hike ahead during the boat ride lasting several hours. The route through the Valbona valley leads you to your comfortable accommodation for the next two nights, through beautiful beech forests and along a crystal clear river with several opportunities for a swim.
Today’s route gives you a lovely overview of the entire valley. You walk along mule tracks across colorful meadows up to an idyllic alpine pasture located high above the valley. Marvel at the majestic peaks and their sheer beauty. During the optional extension of the tour you reach the Montenegrin border and on the way back you stop off at some mountain farms.
Valbona/Rragam – Theth
Short transfer to the village of Rragam, the starting point of today’s hike, where everything is moved onto a packhorse. Then you ascend through open woodland to the Valbona pass, the only connecting route between the two villages. At the ridge you can enjoy panoramic views across both valleys, and on the way back you descend through ancient beech forests in the shade down into the valley, right in the center of the Alps.
After breakfast it is decision time: will you go for the steep caravan route leading to a karst field at the end of the valley or will you choose the shepherd’s route to a remote high-alpine pasture with a view across the entire valley? Both routes actually offer spectacular views onto the surrounding peaks. At the end of the tour you return to your accommodation.
Theth – Nderlysa
During a sightseeing tour of the village Theth you get to explore the special places and landmarks of the valley, the Catholic church, the vendetta tower, the Grunas waterfall, ravine and terraces. After that a bridle path leads you downstream into the traditional village of Nderlysa, where you get to enjoy the unspoilt scenery, for instance whilst indulging in a refreshing swim.
Nderlysa – Tirana
In the morning you set out for a karst spring called ‚the blue eye’, located in a wild-romantic neighboring valley. After lunch transfer via the Thoria pass, first stop at Shkoder and then onwards to Tirana. In the afternoon you explore the vibrant capital with its exciting mix of cultures and religions.
Departure or extension
Due to the walking times, the terrain and the condition of the paths a good basic fitness level and some experience in mountain hiking is required. Walking times vary daily, and range between 3 to 6.5 hours maximum per day. Enjoy the fantastic views onto the mountain world and the crystal clear waters amidst nearly unspoiled and wild nature and scenery.
*Single room is only possible on the 1st and 7th day
Category: 3x mid-range hotels, 4x simple & cozy inns
- 7x overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- 5x evening meal (not in Shkoder and Tirana)
- 6x lunch package
- Luggage transfer
- Transfers according to program
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-tracks available
- Service hotline
- Organized transfer from Tirana airport to Shkoder (duration approx. 1.5 hours), as well as return transfer from Tirana city to Tirana airport EUR 60,- per trip (surcharge for arrival and departure transfer Tirana after 20:00, EUR 15,- per trip). Pre-registration required, payable in advance.
- Arrival/departure from Podgorica on request only.
Arrival / Departure:
- Airport Tirana.
- If you have a valid Schengen visa or a residence permit in a Schengen state, you do not need a visa to stay in Albania. Otherwise, please contact the nearest embassy.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Number of participants: min. 2 persons
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!