Basque Country & Atlantic Coast
Picturesque Northern Spain.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided Tour
- Minimum of participants: 2 persons
Arrival in Zumaia
Zumaia – Deba
An absolute highlight awaits you right at the beginning of your hiking tour: rocks that drop steeply into the sea, covered with lush greenery and always offering magnificent views. On the beaches you can marvel at the jagged rock slabs that reach far into the sea. Again and again you will pass small farms scattered in the otherwise lonely and wild landscape.
Deba – Lekeito
Today you initially walk for a bit along the Camino Norte until you reach the colourful harbour of Mutriku. Then via a beautiful viewpoint onwards to Ondarroa, where the ascent starts to the hermitage of San Lourenzo situated in the high-lying hamlet of Azterrika. The glistening sea always within sight you finally arrive at the charming fishing harbour of Leikeitio and the island of San Nikolas.
Lekeito – Ea
From Lekeitio you ascend the Otoio peak. From the peak the path leads through dense oak forests down to the coast again and then descends to the little, enchanting harbour of today’s Day Finish Ea. Enjoy a stroll along the beach and through the picturesque alleyways of this very special village.
Ea – Elantxobe
Gently hilly through the Basque landscape all the way to the harbour of Elantxobe, with its spectacular location perched on a mountainside. During a circular tour you ascend Mount Ogoño, once you reach the top you can enjoy an incredible view onto the rugged cliffs and the sea below. After this you walk back via green slopes to Elantxobe for your overnight stay at the sea.
Elantxobe – Guernica
Through lush oak forests, you climb up to the hermitage of San Pedro de Atxarre, where you will be rewarded with stunning views of the coastal town of Mundaka, Urdabai Bay and the breathtaking cliffs of the Ogoño. Afterwards you will descend to Guernica, a town of historical and cultural importance.
Guernica – Bilbao
In the morning a short train ride to Mundaka and walk to Bermeo. From there you ascend to Burgoa, where a gorgeous panoramic view over the bay and the sea awaits. At the end of your hike your path will lead you to the hermitage of Gaztelugatxe, which is boldly situated on an island in the middle of the sea. After an extensive visit you reach the bustling harbour town Bilbao.
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
Stunning hiking tours along the Basque coastline. Along the cliff coasts in parts we urge you to tread cautiously, a good basic fitness level and surefootedness are enough for the daily tours with maximum walking times of up to 6,5 hours. The slightly longer tours on Day 3 and Day 6 can optionally be cut short by bus or taxi.
| Season 1 |
01.04.2023 - 15.06.2023
17.09.2023 - 15.11.2023
| Season 2 |
16.06.2023 - 16.09.2023
|Basque Country & Atlantic Coast, 8 days, ES-BAWZB-08X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single traveler||189.00||189.00|
|Surcharge single room||319.00||339.00|
Category: 2**- and 3***-hotels and 1x bb
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- 5 evening meal (not in Guernica and Bilbao)
- Luggage transfer (1 piece of luggage per person)
- 1 Transfer Gaztelugatxe – Bilbao
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-data available
- Service hotline
- Transfer from Bilbao centre/airport to Zumaia (up to 4 people), price per ride EUR 200. Reservation required, payable in advance.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Bilbao airport. From there by train to Zumaia in approx. 2 hours (www.euskotren.es).
- Parking: there is a limited number of paid hotel parking spaces. Public parking spaces free of charge near the hotel, no reservation possible.
- Return journey by train from Bilbao to Zumaia in approx. 2 hours.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Train ride Guernica – Mundaka, approx. EUR 2 per person
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!