Douro-Valley with Charm
Culture and enjoyment in the valley of enchantment.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided Tour
- Minimum of participants: 2 people
Arrival in Pinhão
After your arrival in Pinhão, take a stroll around the vineyards, sample their wines or take a boat trip along the river. In the evening, take the chance to enjoy tasty local dishes in the splendid restaurants of this charming village.
Today you explore the western slopes of the Pinhão-valley, as you climb to the hillside villages of São Cristovão do Douro and Provosende. The views of the surrounding vineyards will more than compensate your efforts. End the day with a warm welcome and a home-cooked meal at Casa de Vilarinho de São Romão, where a refreshing dip in the outdoor pool or a nap in the comfortable guest lounge await you.
With Vilarinho de São Romão as your base, today’s circular route winds down to the Pinhão River via a couple of small villages and wine estates and along the opposite hillsides, through the vineyards, with varied landscapes and splendid views throughout. Relax at a riverside picnic spot before making your way uphill to the village of Celeirós, where you can stop to taste the wines at Quinta do Portal before returning to your delightful accommodation.
Enjoy views across the valley on your way towards the pretty village of Sabrosa. Follow an ancient road between here and Favaios, as you head down through the vineyard terraces to the river. Wend your way uphill again between grape vines and olive groves towards a distinctly different landscape. Taste traditional wood oven-baked bread and moscatel wine in Favaios, then continue to the small, historical town of Alijó.
Today’s walk is a circular route from Alijó that undulates through an ever-changing patchwork of vineyards and fields towards the ancient village of São Mamede de Ribatua, with spectacular views of the surrounding rock-strewn mountains. Return to Alijó in the shade of the pine forests
Alijó – Casal de Loivos
Spend the day walking through vineyards, perhaps calling in at a wine estate or two for a tour and tasting session before reaching the ridge at the top of the eastern slopes of the Pinhão Valley. Look back at the terraced slopes opposite to identify the villages you passed by earlier in the week. You’ll have magnificent views of the Douro river, before reaching the last village of the day. Once there, take the chance to visit the nearby olive oil museum.
Casal de Loivos – Porto
Today’s rather short but stunning walk down to Pinhão leaves you with time for a final winery tour and tasting session overlooking the Douro River. Enjoy lunch in the village or a picnic in the vineyards, before taking the train back to Porto for a night in the heart of the city. Take your time to explore the city’s historical monuments, but also revitalised areas such as Rua das Flores and the riverside Ribeira district. If you have some time left, cross the river and visit at least one of the port wine cellars in Vila Nova de Gaia to see and smell where the barrels of aging wine are stored – and raise your glass to an unforgettable hiking journey!
Departure or extra days
You are hiking on solid, unpaved trails. For walking times up to max. 6 hours and the sometimes a little bit longer ascents and descents, a good basic fitness level is enough to feel comfortable.
| Season 1 |
01.03.2023 - 30.04.2023
16.10.2023 - 31.10.2023
| Season 2 |
01.05.2023 - 15.10.2023
|Douro-Valley, 8 Tage, PO-NOWPP-08X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single room||389.00||449.00|
Category: see description
You can book extra nights for any day of your tour. Prices upon request!
| Season 1 |
Mar 1, 2023 - Apr 30, 2023
Oct 16, 2023 - Oct 31, 2023
| Season 2 |
May 1, 2023 - Oct 15, 2023
|Double room p.p.||95.00||95.00|
|Surcharge single room||85.00||85.00|
- Accomodations as already mentioned
- Welcome briefing (English)
- 2 evening meals (Vilarinho de São Romão)
- 5 Lunch packeges (2nd to 6th day)
- Luggage transfer
- 1 Transfer Airport Porto – Station Porto
- 1 Transfer Hotel Porto – Airport Porto
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English)
- GPS-data available (GPS-device on spot included)
- Service hotline
- Transfer from Porto center/airport to Pinhão (max. 3 people), cost per trip EUR 260, reservations required, payable in advance.
Arrival / Departure:
- Airport Porto and organized transfer to the station Porto-Campanhã. You continue by train (www.cp.pt) to Pinhão, duration approx. 2,5 hours. Return transfer from your hotel in Porto to the airport at the end of your trip, transfer included in the tour package.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Train journey Porto – Pinhão (1st day) and Pinhão – Porto (7th day), approx. EUR 25 per person
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!