Arrival in Chania
Explore the probably most beautiful town in Crete with its unique townscape, characterised by the Venetian and Ottoman occupation period.
In the morning by bus into the pretty coastal town Paleochora, situated direclty at the sea. Enjoy a plunge into the cool turqoise waters and relax in the sun on the marvellous sandy beach. Take a stroll through the colourful alleyways, visit the historic fortress Castello Selino, towering high up on a hill above the village are all a must.
Wonderful hiking tour from the coast up to the plateau. Through a gorge you reach the ancient site of Lyssos, a paradise for archeologists due to the Greek and Roman remains. This site is only accessible from the sea or on foot, a green oasis with a marvellous bay and a beautiful harbour. After a rest you ascend again to a plateau and walk in the shade through the gorge of Selinou all the way to the village of Sougia.
From Sougia to Omalos
Today a very special hiking highlight awaits with the crossing of the wild Agia Irini-gorge. You ascend on exciting paths, walk through a lush riverbed featuring fragrant oleander bushes and plenty more blooming plants. After that you can either reach Omalos by optional transfer or along remote hiking paths. The village is situated on a plateau, where you are greeted by grazing herds of sheep, today the sea appears far away.
Short transfer to Xyloskalo, the start of the famous Samaria-gorge, one of the longest gorges in Europe. Between high rock faces and over small wooden bridges you get safely across the gurgling river, you steadily descend all the way to the Lybian Sea, always accompanied by spectacular views and unique impressions. In bad weather conditions transfer to Sougia and then directly by ferry to Agia Roumeli.
Hiking tour along the coast, past the historic site of Agios Pavlos and the chapel dating back to the 12th century. You reach Loutro, a beautiful village with white houses, in a very remote location and built spectacularly into the mountainside. Again and again you have the chance to jump into the sea, particularly the pretty village of Lykos with its little beach and the white marble slabs invites to a proper cool-off. Afterwards by water taxi to Loutro.
From Loutro to Chania
Today you have the entire day at your disposal. Maybe visit the Venetian fortress complex and observe the goings-on in the colourful alleyways, the restaurants situated in the pretty harbour serve local specialities and the catch of the day. As soon as you wish take the boat to Chora Sfakion and from there by bus back to Chania, where your holiday comes to a relaxed end.
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
You walk on nice hiking paths along the coast and in the highland. For the hiking tours with walking times up to 6 hours through rocky terrain a good basic fitness level and surefootedness is required. Longer tours can be shorted by optional transfers. There is always plenty of time left, to enjoy the stupendous bays and cultural sights in peace and quiet.
Category: characteristic, charming 2** hotels, apartments and familial B&Bs
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- 1x evening meal (Omalos)
- Luggage transfer (1 piece of luggage per person)
- Transfer from/to Chania airport
- Transfers Omalos – Xyloskalo/Sougia
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English)
- Service hotline
- Organised transfer from/to Heraklion airport, cost EUR 210 per ride (1 to 4 persons). Booking required, payable in advance.
Arrival / Departure:
- Chania airport. Organised transfer to the arrival hotel and return transfer to the airport at the end of the tour. Transfers included in the tour price.
- Heraklion airport and by bus in approx. 3 hours to Chania.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Entrance fee for Agia Irini- and Samaria gorge, approx. EUR 7 per person
- Bus-, taxi- and boat rides (Chania – Paleochora, Sougia – Agia Roumeli, Lykos – Loutro, Loutro –
- Chora Sfakion, Chora Sfakion – Chania), approx. EUR 50 per person
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!