Cotswolds & Shakespeare
The Heart of Old England.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Follow the traces of William Shakespeare in the historic old town. A longer walking tour explores the surroundings of Stratford.
Transfer to Hidcote, where you can visit the stunning gardens. Walk to Chipping Campden, one of the pretty towns of the Cotswolds (transfer also possible to Chipping Campden). The main street is seamed by the typical stone cottages with sumptuous gardens. Visit the „Wool-Church“, wealthy wool merchants of the Cotswolds used to donate churches. Continue your walk to Moreton-in-Marsh where you will stay overnight.
Put on your walking boots and follow the paths across meadows and fields through Sezincote, with the unique Mughal house, past Stow-in-the-Wold, the highest village of the Cotswolds and through pretty Lower Slaughter to Bourton-on-the-Water.
Today you follow the pretty stream Windrush to Naunten. Here you cross the Wolds to Winchcombe, once capital of the Saxons.
Recuperate from the day before, explore Sudeley Castle and the old church and sustain yourself in one of the restaurants. The more enterprising can take the coach to Cheltenham, about 12 km away or choose between several loop tours.
Winchcombe – Broadway
Breathtaking walk through the country to Stanway and Stanton, the best maintained of the Cotswolds villages (many historic films are taken here). Then you reach the historic coach-village Broadway, where you will stay overnight.
The Cotswolds are gently rolling hills (up to 300 m elevation), so you have to take into account the occasional gentle climb. You walk on footpaths across farmland, villages and sometimes even through gardens.
Category: typical guesthouses and B&B's
Extra nights upon request!
- 7 overnight stays, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer (one piece of luggage per person]
- Transfer Stratford - Hidcote
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents
Arrival / Departure
- By air to London and by train (direct train from London Euston) in about 2.5 hrs. to Stratford-upon-Avon (www.thetrainline.com).
- Return from Moreton as well as from Stratford with very good train connection to London. Or organized transfer upon request, cost to Moreton approx. EUR 30 per fare, cost to Stratford-upon-Avon approx. EUR 45 payable locally, reservation requested. During the week public transport is available (not on Sundays).
- Number of participants: min. 2 persons