Mercantour National Park
From the Maritime Alps to the Côte d´Azur.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Saint-Dalmas-de-Tende
During your hiking tour you come across numerous medieval mountain villages such as Tende and La Brigue, situated on an altitude of over 2000m in altitude. Both villages will enthrall you, La Brigue with its marvellous Baroque church and Tende with a magnificent cathedral, the pretty old part of town and the Prehistoric Museum.
You walk through chestnut forests and past sleepy villages, with their houses – characteristic for the region - built with dry stone walls and slate roofs. A particularly beautiful village is Granile, a genuine jewel. You continue via Berghe with a view over the Roya and reach Saorge, whose architectural style is unique in this region.
Along the former saline path you reach the village Breil-sur-Roya which was daringly built into a steep slope. In your Day Finish you can listen in on the organ craft, which is renowned far beyond the borders of Italy. The valley owes its name to this handcraft: ‚Vallée des Orgues’ (valley of the organs).
A particularly pretty path leads you via Piène-Haute to a very well maintained village situated on a mountainside. A picturesque chapel located amidst olive groves awaits and also a spectacular ravine with a height of 600 metres. You walk through the ravine, where the route takes you again and again across into Italian territory.
The fortress, the cathedral and many other historic unique examples of architecture remind you of the significance of Sospel over the centuries. You leave Sospel behind you and walk through the already mediterranean vegetation into the mountain village of Saint-Agnès, which towers and sits high up like a nest on top of a hill.
The coast and the sea are now already visible! With a breathtakeing view onto the coast the route takes you through little typical villages such as Monti and Castellar. Then through the well-known Garavan-bay all the way into the vibrant old centre of Menton, located fabulously on the radiant coast of Southern France.
Departure or extension
Characteristics of the route
A good basic fitness level is required for the hiking tour in the most beautiful valleys of the hinterland of Menton. Daily you tackle approx. 600 to 900 metres in altitude, with a daily walking time of 5 to 6 hours. The route takes you along good hiking paths.
Category: 4x 2**-hotels, 3x pretty hotels and inns without category (French classifying)
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Evening meal (6x, not in Menton)
- Luggage transfer
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents 1x per room (German, English)
- Service hotline
- Organised transfer from Nice airport to Saint-Dalmas-de-Tende, cost approx. EUR 190 per fare (from 2 up to 7 persons, between 08:00am and 07:00pm), approx. 1.5 hours. Reservation necessary, payable in advance.
- Organised return transfer from Menton to Saint-Dalmas-de-Tende, approx. EUR 150 per fare (from 2 up to 7 persons, between 08:00am and 07:00pm). Reservation necessary, payable in advance.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Airport Nice. Further by shuttle bus to the train station.
- Arrival by train to Nice and then by regional train (www.ter-sncf.com) to Saint-Dalmas-de-Tende, cost EUR 20 per fare, approx. 2 hours.
- Parking: unguarded parking spaces near the hotel, free of charge and at the train station of Saint-Dalmas-de-Tende, no reservation necessary.
- Return journey by bus „Lignes d’Azur” (www.riviera-francaise.fr) from Menton to Saint-Dalmas-deTende, approx. 1.5 hours. Or return journey by train, approx. 2 hours (1x change of trains).
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Number of participants: min. 2 persons
- Extra nights upon request in every stage finish
- Special dates on request
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!