Mercantour National Park
From the Maritime Alps to the Côte d´Azur.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Individual arrival at Saint-Dalmas-de-Tende
During your hiking tour you come across numerous medieval mountain villages such as Tende and La Brigue, situated on an altitude of over 2000m in altitude. Both villages will enthrall you, La Brigue with its marvellous Baroque church and Tende with a magnificent cathedral, the pretty old part of town and the Prehistoric Museum.
You walk through chestnut forests and past sleepy villages, with their houses – characteristic for the region - built with dry stone walls and slate roofs. A particularly beautiful village is Granile, a genuine jewel. You continue via Berghe with a view over the Roya and reach Saorge, whose architectural style is unique in this region.
Saorge – Breil-sur-Roya
Along the former saline path you reach the village Saorge which was daringly built into a steep slope. In your Day Finish Breil-sur-Roya you can listen in on the organ craft, which is renowned far beyond the borders of Italy. The valley owes its name to this handcraft: ‚Vallée des Orgues’ (valley of the organs).
Breil-sur-Roya – Sospel
A particularly pretty path leads you via Piène-Haute to a very well maintained village situated on a mountainside. A picturesque chapel located amidst olive groves awaits and also a spectacular ravine with a height of 600 metres. You walk through the ravine, where the route takes you again and again across into Italian territory.
Sospel – Sainte-Agnès
The fortress, the cathedral and many other historic unique examples of architecture remind you of the significance of Sospel over the centuries. You leave Sospel behind you and walk through the already mediterranean vegetation into the mountain village of Saint-Agnès, which towers and sits high up like a nest on top of a hill.
Sainte-Agnès – Menton
The coast and the sea are now already visible! With a breathtakeing view onto the coast the route takes you through little typical villages such as Monti and Castellar. Then through the well-known Garavan-bay all the way into the vibrant old centre of Menton, located fabulously on the radiant coast of Southern France.
Individual departure or extra days
A good basic fitness level is required for the hiking tour in the most beautiful valleys of the hinterland of Menton. Daily you tackle approx. 600 to 900 metres in altitude, with a daily walking time of 5 to 6 hours. The route takes you along good hiking paths.
Category: 3x 2**-hotel, 4x pretty hotels and inns without category (French classification)
- 7 overnight stays as stated above, breakfast included
- Half-board (6x, Menton excluded)
- Luggage transfer
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents
- Nice Airport, from there by shuttle bus to the train station.
- Arrival by train at Nice and then by regional train (www.ter-sncf.com) approx. 2 hours to Saint-Dalmas-de-Tende.
- Organised transfer from Nice airport to Saint-Dalmas-de-Tende EUR 180 per fare, duration approx. 1.5 hours. Reservation necessary, payable in advance.
- Parking: unguarded parking spaces free of charge near the hotel and at Saint-Dalmas-de-Tende train station, no reservation necessary.
- Return journey from Menton to Saint-Dalmas-deTende, duration approx. 1.5 hours by bus ‚Lignes d’Azur’ (www.riviera-francaise.fr). Or return journey by train, duration approx. 2 hours (1x change of trains).
- Return journey by taxi from Menton to Saint-Dalmas-de-Tende, approx. EUR 190 per fare. Reservation on-site in the hotel in Menton.
- Attendance: minimum of 2 persons
- Extra nights in every stage finish upon request